is there hope (low gap, new graduate)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

  • 2.9 sGPA
  • 3.2 cGPA
  • 520 MCAT
  • 3 semesters of research experience
  • 1 year volunteering at a hospital
  • 1 year as a community service committee chair
  • 1 semester microbiology TA
  • 2 years as an ER scribe
  • worked as a CNA the summer after high school
  • I've had several other jobs (sometimes 2 at once while a full-time student) including tutoring, running a martial arts schools, managing a computer lab
  • I'm graduating in a couple weeks (May 2016) with my B.S. in Healthcare Studies. I got some form of a C in 5 of my science classes (the chems, psych, and microbiology). I retook them all, and made B+ in all except ochem 2 and microbiology (I re-took both of those in the same summer along with 2 other classes while working night shifts almost every night, and I ended up making the same C+ in ochem 2 and a C+ instead of a C in microbiology which is insanely embarrassing). Half the original Cs were from my freshman year when I was still trying to make my high school study habits work for me. Otherwise I was a steady B student.
  • My GPA issue was mostly a matter of spreading myself too thin, poor time managment, and working too many night shifts the last 2 years. I was kind of all over the place, picking up new projects like learning Spanish or learning a new instrument. My entire life I was a do-the-minimum-but-get-by kind of person, scored ok on my big exams (2170 SAT/30 ACT) which got me where I needed to go, however I ended up at a university which is apparently notorious for having the most difficult science classes in the state (something I've been told by multiple advisors) and I was not prepared. I basically spent the last 4 years as a foolish optomist thinking "it's ok there's still time to fix this" and now I've graduated...
  • I've had a job since I was 16, worked to make sure that I wouldn't have to go into debt before med school, but ended up with this GPA that might prevent me from ever getting into med school anyway, so I'm worried I screwed myself over. Which brings me back to the original reason I've been rambling: I'm applying this cycle, and mostly just wondering if I stand a chance.

GPA is too low... consider doing an SMP, your MCAT is amazing so congratulations on that!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
  • 2.9 sGPA
  • 3.2 cGPA
  • 520 MCAT
  • 3 semesters of research experience
  • 1 year volunteering at a hospital
  • 1 year as a community service committee chair
  • 1 semester microbiology TA
  • 2 years as an ER scribe
  • worked as a CNA the summer after high school
  • I've had several other jobs (sometimes 2 at once while a full-time student) including tutoring, running a martial arts schools, managing a computer lab
  • I'm graduating in a couple weeks (May 2016) with my B.S. in Healthcare Studies. I got some form of a C in 5 of my science classes (the chems, psych, and microbiology). I retook them all, and made B+ in all except ochem 2 and microbiology (I re-took both of those in the same summer along with 2 other classes while working night shifts almost every night, and I ended up making the same C+ in ochem 2 and a C+ instead of a C in microbiology which is insanely embarrassing). Half the original Cs were from my freshman year when I was still trying to make my high school study habits work for me. Otherwise I was a steady B student.
  • My GPA issue was mostly a matter of spreading myself too thin, poor time managment, and working too many night shifts the last 2 years. I was kind of all over the place, picking up new projects like learning Spanish or learning a new instrument. My entire life I was a do-the-minimum-but-get-by kind of person, scored ok on my big exams (2170 SAT/30 ACT) which got me where I needed to go, however I ended up at a university which is apparently notorious for having the most difficult science classes in the state (something I've been told by multiple advisors) and I was not prepared. I basically spent the last 4 years as a foolish optomist thinking "it's ok there's still time to fix this" and now I've graduated...
  • I've had a job since I was 16, worked to make sure that I wouldn't have to go into debt before med school, but ended up with this GPA that might prevent me from ever getting into med school anyway, so I'm worried I screwed myself over. Which brings me back to the original reason I've been rambling: I'm applying this cycle, and mostly just wondering if I stand a chance.
I would retake some of the classes you did poorly in at SMP or post-bac and apply MD!

That MCAT score is sweet!!! If you repair your GPA, I'm sure at least a few MD schools will give you some love.
 
You are a good SMP candidate. Or retake some classes and go DO. Nice MCAT