is there hope (low gap, new graduate)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d0214

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • 2.9 sGPA
  • 3.2 cGPA
  • 520 MCAT
  • 3 semesters of research experience
  • 1 year volunteering at a hospital
  • 1 year as a community service committee chair
  • 1 semester microbiology TA
  • 2 years as an ER scribe
  • worked as a CNA the summer after high school
  • I've had several other jobs (sometimes 2 at once while a full-time student) including tutoring, running a martial arts schools, managing a computer lab
  • I'm graduating in a couple weeks (May 2016) with my B.S. in Healthcare Studies. I got some form of a C in 5 of my science classes (the chems, psych, and microbiology). I retook them all, and made B+ in all except ochem 2 and microbiology (I re-took both of those in the same summer along with 2 other classes while working night shifts almost every night, and I ended up making the same C+ in ochem 2 and a C+ instead of a C in microbiology which is insanely embarrassing). Half the original Cs were from my freshman year when I was still trying to make my high school study habits work for me. Otherwise I was a steady B student.
  • My GPA issue was mostly a matter of spreading myself too thin, poor time managment, and working too many night shifts the last 2 years. I was kind of all over the place, picking up new projects like learning Spanish or learning a new instrument. My entire life I was a do-the-minimum-but-get-by kind of person, scored ok on my big exams (2170 SAT/30 ACT) which got me where I needed to go, however I ended up at a university which is apparently notorious for having the most difficult science classes in the state (something I've been told by multiple advisors) and I was not prepared. I basically spent the last 4 years as a foolish optomist thinking "it's ok there's still time to fix this" and now I've graduated...
  • I've had a job since I was 16, worked to make sure that I wouldn't have to go into debt before med school, but ended up with this GPA that might prevent me from ever getting into med school anyway, so I'm worried I screwed myself over. Which brings me back to the original reason I've been rambling: I'm applying this cycle, and mostly just wondering if I stand a chance.

GPA is too low... consider doing an SMP, your MCAT is amazing so congratulations on that!

hmm...well a couple of things:
- I would tentatively hold off on applying and retake some of your courses and apply DO
- That MCAT is very awesome - congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
  • 2.9 sGPA
  • 3.2 cGPA
  • 520 MCAT
  • 3 semesters of research experience
  • 1 year volunteering at a hospital
  • 1 year as a community service committee chair
  • 1 semester microbiology TA
  • 2 years as an ER scribe
  • worked as a CNA the summer after high school
  • I've had several other jobs (sometimes 2 at once while a full-time student) including tutoring, running a martial arts schools, managing a computer lab
  • I'm graduating in a couple weeks (May 2016) with my B.S. in Healthcare Studies. I got some form of a C in 5 of my science classes (the chems, psych, and microbiology). I retook them all, and made B+ in all except ochem 2 and microbiology (I re-took both of those in the same summer along with 2 other classes while working night shifts almost every night, and I ended up making the same C+ in ochem 2 and a C+ instead of a C in microbiology which is insanely embarrassing). Half the original Cs were from my freshman year when I was still trying to make my high school study habits work for me. Otherwise I was a steady B student.
  • My GPA issue was mostly a matter of spreading myself too thin, poor time managment, and working too many night shifts the last 2 years. I was kind of all over the place, picking up new projects like learning Spanish or learning a new instrument. My entire life I was a do-the-minimum-but-get-by kind of person, scored ok on my big exams (2170 SAT/30 ACT) which got me where I needed to go, however I ended up at a university which is apparently notorious for having the most difficult science classes in the state (something I've been told by multiple advisors) and I was not prepared. I basically spent the last 4 years as a foolish optomist thinking "it's ok there's still time to fix this" and now I've graduated...
  • I've had a job since I was 16, worked to make sure that I wouldn't have to go into debt before med school, but ended up with this GPA that might prevent me from ever getting into med school anyway, so I'm worried I screwed myself over. Which brings me back to the original reason I've been rambling: I'm applying this cycle, and mostly just wondering if I stand a chance.
I would retake some of the classes you did poorly in at SMP or post-bac and apply MD!

That MCAT score is sweet!!! If you repair your GPA, I'm sure at least a few MD schools will give you some love.

You are a good SMP candidate. Or retake some classes and go DO. Nice MCAT

How are your GPAs calculated, with or without grade replacement?