Is there more like me out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monchiormeno

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:( Hi! I was just wondering if I'm the only one that has not gotten an acceptance, yet. Let me tell you my sad story. I got rejected at UNECOM (without a secondary), got interviewed an waitlisted at VCOM, got interviewed and rejected at PCOM ( :confused: and I thought the interview went great!) and I still have not heard from NYCOM (I interviewed with them on March 27th). NJ-SOM (my first choice) still have not granted me an interview but I'm going to their Open House this Friday to see if that helps my chances, if I still have any chances with them.
Am I the only one in this situation? My discouragement level goes up as the days go by and it is not fun. Maybe we can form a support group or a club:laugh:
Good luck to everyone! I know I need it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'M SORRY FOR YOUR PAIN.

What's your background? GPA/MCAT? Maybe you need to work on bringing something up?

PH

I'll be graduating this May, so my GPA is not something I can fix. I have a 3.3 overall and 3.1 science. MCAT: Verbal: 7, PS:10, BS: 10. My writing sample sucked! (I think I got the lowest grade ever recorded) That's the reason why UNECOM turned me down. I did not meet their writing sample minimum grade for the MCAT. English is my second language (that's not an excuse for my writing sample, my writing sucks; even in Spanish and that's my native language). I'm hispanic, female, 23. Did volunteering in an assisted living facility during summer breaks. I'm a naval reservist (one weekend a month, two weeks a year service), I was recalled after the September 11th events in support of Operation Noble Eagle. I also participate in two school groups: the latino student alliance and the catholic campus group (we do charity events, blood drives, etc,etc)
I guess that's all I can say about me. If I don't get any acceptances this year, I'll retake the MCAT in August, try to bring my score up. And I'll apply again!
:clap: Thanks for the concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually you can still fix your gpa by taking some additional coursework after you graduate....i have many friends who were in a similar situation in terms of gpa and many of them did grad school, post bac or just took night courses while taking a year or some time off and got into medical school the next time they applied for admission. don't give up.....learn from your mistakes this time around...apply early, fix those mistakes, and keep up a positive attitude....also, you may want to call the schools you were rejected at and ask what you can do to improve your applications the next time around....good luck!!!

Originally posted by uclamendoza
actually you can still fix your gpa by taking some additional coursework after you graduate

i though if you graduate, your gpa is fixed. And, If you take any additonal class after you graduate, you will have a seperate gpa. How is that going to help your undergraduate gpa?

I also thought that undergrad and grad GPA was calculated separately in the application. :confused:
Does anyone know if undergrad and grad GPAs are combined to make one GPA ?

Any undergraduate courses you take after graduating become part of your undergraduate GPA. You can use them to raise your GPA.

There is also a GPA calculation for each degree that you get but if you substantially raise your overall undergraduate GPA that will be a very positive step.

Monchi-
Did you apply late? You seem to have fairly good stats and ECs, and are hispanic (does that matter for osteopathic schools?). Your writing seems much better than that of other SDN'ers whose primary language is supposed to be english. Late application (like I did) really hurts you. UNECOM is, as I understand, strictly rolling; if you apply late you are outta luck.

Like others said, take more classes and get A's. If you think you can make a significant difference on your MCAT (say, if you didn't study at all), do it again. Otherwise, it might be a lot of effort for no gain; read the MCAT bulletin for advice on that.

Most important, keep trying! You sound like an excellent applicant, now you just have to find a school that will appreciate you.

One thing that I have heard about UNECOM is that if you are not from the area, your chances of getting a secondary application are slim.

If I were you, I would attend every open house that you can and apply very early to as many schools as you can afford. Your stats seem to be right on. (My impression is that schools are more interested in the Biological and Physical Sciences portion of the MCAT than the writing sample.) Persistance is key. Sometimes the admissions staff just wants to know you're dedicated. Good luck with everything. :D

There are many in your situation.... I didn't read anyone elses responses but remember that thousands and thousands of applicants each year buy for a limited amount of seats in medical school.... Don't give up if this is what you really want to do.... persistance is the key so success.

Good luck :cool: