is there pharmacy residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lady Tokimi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wonderin if there is residency option for pharmacists after graduation?? sorta like medical doctors??? I have heard there was and i just wanted to make sure that it was so. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Lady Tokimi said:
Just wonderin if there is residency option for pharmacists after graduation?? sorta like medical doctors??? I have heard there was and i just wanted to make sure that it was so. Thanks
Yes, you can opt for a residency. Usually you would do a General Practice residency of about a year, and if you want to, you can follow that with a specialty residency. From what I've heard, most specialty residencies require a general practice residency to be completed first. So you can do one or two years of residencies, if you want to, after you get your PharmD.

sorry for my ignorance...........but what is the residency for?? how does that compare with pharmacists who doesn't go for residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lady Tokimi said:
sorry for my ignorance...........but what is the residency for?? how does that compare with pharmacists who doesn't go for residency?
You aren't required to do a residency, but....

Reasons you might want to do residency:
1. You are interested in gaining more experience before you officially enter the workforce
2. You want to work in a specialty field (Pediatrics, Transplant, etc)
3. You might want to do more than be a general staff pharmacist (ie-you want to work in clinical trials, or for a Pharma company)
4. You want to distinguish yourself from your PharmD collegues to get the better jobs
5. You want to be a clinical pharmacist (residencies may be required to apply)

I'm sure there are other reasons, here are just a few...someone correct me if I am wrong... I'm not a pharm student yet, this is just what I have learned so far about residencies...

6. You're married, the wife still has three years until you graduate, thus you're stuck in Mo'Town until 2009 so you may as well do something to pass the time.