Is there such a thing as being too honest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

Medical schools look at you as a whole- a healthcare worker, scholar, scientific mind, compassionate human being. So, naturally, they expect all applicants to have some flaws and weaknesses. So is it a good idea to mention that, for example, at one point in your life, you didn't care about people in the hospital but working in one changed your perspective on it? The way I see it, this would be a genuine experience that contributes to your personality, so you should share it. But can it hurt you?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes there is. There are weaknesses that you can talk about trying to improve upon, but empathy for human suffering? Probably don't broadcast that that was something you struggled with.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't say 'you didn't care' (about the staff? patients?), but simply say you 'gained an appreciation for ____ with your time as a volunteer/employee/etc'.

For example: if you don't realize how traumatic a death in the family is, but then experience one, you wouldn't say that you didn't care about those who had the experience... you were ignorant to it. Undergoing any experience will affect you, but in this case I'd focus on the beneficial growth without dwelling on the starting point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just ****ing lie about it. I'm too tired for this garbage.

Reactions: 1 user
Just ****ing lie about it. I'm too tired for this garbage.
May I suggest the following?:

68573-click-turn-off.gif

Reactions: 5 users