Is there time to play video games in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mithril

Johnny Canuck
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just bought Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 because I'm already bored of my summer. Med school starts on August 29th. Can I finish both in a month and a half of casual gaming? Can I even play them when school starts?

I also need like 5000 races won in order to lock Rosalina in Mario Kart Wii.

Members don't see this ad.

troll-bank-gr1.jpeg

Of course not. Medical school is no joke, and between class time (lecture and lab) and studying, expect at least 90 hours a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course not. Medical school is no joke, and between class time (lecture and lab) and studying, expect at least 90 hours a week.

But....then who will help infest the Terrans?

I fear for the future patients of America.

Play games all night. It's ez man. Just manage your time :)

Skyrim comes out in November. I won't be in med school and will have plenty of time to play (as i finish all my classes in dec) but if it is anything like oblivion, i won't be done by med school. there better be time to play!

Medical schools will actually expel any students who unlock Rosalina in Mario Kart. It's one of those auto-cut criteria.

I just bought Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 because I'm already bored of my summer. Med school starts on August 29th. Can I finish both in a month and a half of casual gaming? Can I even play them when school starts?

Yeah, there's time if you make it your nonstudying priority...

Plenty of time. My school has a lot of gamers, and we sometimes even have get togethers for Halo... World of Warcraft is also a popular choice to delay studying a little longer :)

Medical schools will actually expel any students who unlock Rosalina in Mario Kart. It's one of those auto-cut criteria.
You can joke if you want, but students who play video games in medical school are more likely to fail Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
people who play video games might have lower step 1 scores......

but they make better doctors. truth.

If there's time for people to work out, keep hold of a spouse, have kids, volunteer at clinics, research, etc, you could substitute these things with playing videogames.

I'll admit that I've never been happier since I stopped being a gamer. I just have so much more free time now to do stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
I talked with a med school student about free time and he said he has played more PS3 during his first year in med school than he ever has in his entire life. And he says he is doing well in school. Then one of his classmates chimed in that he was one of the top of his class. So I guess it depends on how you can manage your time. Or maybe he just touched the PS3 for 10 minutes because he never played a game before in his life. Take it how you may.

I talked with a med school student about free time and he said he has played more PS3 during his first year in med school than he ever has in his entire life. And he says he is doing well in school. Then one of his classmates chimed in that he was one of the top of his class. So I guess it depends on how you can manage your time. Or maybe he just touched the PS3 for 10 minutes because he never played a game before in his life. Take it how you may.
P=MD. He could just be exaggerating though. Pretending to play games a lot when in reality he hasn't touched it in years and wants others to think he's that good that he can have it both ways.

Skyrim comes out in November. I won't be in med school and will have plenty of time to play (as i finish all my classes in dec) but if it is anything like oblivion, i won't be done by med school. there better be time to play!

Between Skyrim and Battlefield 3, my life is going to be over.

I will be damned if I'm not gonna be playing Diablo 3 in med school.

I have 2 years of graduate school starting this spring before med school, plenty of time to do work and enjoy the crap out of diablo 3 :love:

I fear for the future patients of America.
I'm from Canada.
sgEAl.gif

I'm going to invent a cancer therapy where nanotechnology is used to fight cancer cells in video gaming format. It'll be like Star Fox.

I play videogames almost every day, and doing fine. Even in 3rd year. Just gotta make time for the hobbies you care about :)

P=MD. He could just be exaggerating though. Pretending to play games a lot when in reality he hasn't touched it in years and wants others to think he's that good that he can have it both ways.

Exactly. I think it just depends upon each person. If you have good time management, then you can balance a ton of stuff with school. If you suck at it, then you're gonna have to prioritize the important things if you wanna make it through school successfully.

Too bad Blizzard will probably find a reason to push D3 to 2020.

Indeed. They are probably gonna release 2 more expansions for WOW before they start working on D3 again.

During M1-2 I leveled two 85s played mw2 near nonstop certain months and still got a 265 on step 1.

I've heard that there is time, but you have to choose between video games and masturbation.

I'm from Canada.
sgEAl.gif

I'm going to invent a cancer therapy where nanotechnology is used to fight cancer cells in video gaming format. It'll be like Star Fox.

I see a Nobel prize in your future.. probably given to you in medal format

I used to game a lot but first year of med school I almost never turned on the PS3. You have so little personal time and I personally did not have the energy to play.

Med schools prefer that you play board games...however, it might not look good if you get 'buzzed'-out too many times playing Operation. :D

Last edited:

Haven't played Galaxy 2, but Galaxy 1 can go pretty fast even when playing casually. Definitely not difficult...and I don't game.

Playing Wii games = being a better laproscopic surgeon. S'truth.

How would you know? Come to think of it, why is OP asking this question in a pre-med forum?

I will make time to play video games. The school I am going to has an Xbox in the student lounge, I can't let that go to waste.

How would you know? Come to think of it, why is OP asking this question in a pre-med forum?

I will make time to play video games. The school I am going to has an Xbox in the student lounge, I can't let that go to waste.

Seconded. Although the Medical-Students forum is intended for medical students to ask questions, not for premeds to ask med students questions.

Most of the medical students I've met still have hobbies: They go out on weekends, they sometimes volunteer, sometimes they evens sit home at night watching TV. I have no idea how well these people are doing, granted, but I have not gotten the impression that attending medical school is a sacred duty and privilege where you're required to sacrifice every iota of your free time to study. But it does seem akin to having a full-time job.

I'm from Canada.
sgEAl.gif

Can't wait to hear "do a barrel roll" :laugh:

I'm still waiting to hear an announcement for the next Kingdom Hearts release for a console, I refuse to play this card game crap on a DS. While I'm ranting, what is the deal with gesture-only controls for Zelda: Skyward Sword?!? Are you kidding me? I want to sit on my ass and kill goblins and gerudos, not wave my arm around like an idiot.

I'm still waiting to hear an announcement for the next Kingdom Hearts release for a console, I refuse to play this card game crap on a DS. While I'm ranting, what is the deal with gesture-only controls for Zelda: Skyward Sword?!? Are you kidding me? I want to sit on my ass and kill goblins and gerudos, not wave my arm around like an idiot.

Never regretted a game purchase more than my Wii. Waited in line 12 hours before opening night to get it. Boy I wish I could take that back...though playing board games with other people in line was kind of fun.

Kingdom Hearts is amazing across all platforms, don't miss out on those gems because as of right now, the next Kingdom Hearts game is coming out on handhelds. And Zelda is infallible, thou shall not speak negative of it. Plus impressions have been incredibly positive and they speak highly of its controls.

Kingdom Hearts is amazing across all platforms, don't miss out on those gems because as of right now, the next Kingdom Hearts game is coming out on handhelds. And Zelda is infallible, thou shall not speak negative of it. Plus impressions have been incredibly positive and they speak highly of its controls.

I've only played KH games on the PS2. They're pretty good, but I wouldn't put them in my Top 10. You know what one of my favorite games is from my avatar.