Is this a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am enrolling for classes next semester. Would this sound terrible? I love science classes, but I have never had three science courses in a semester before. I am wondering if those from experience who have taken 3 science courses if you were still able to maintain a decent GPA...Otherwise, would this type of schedule be counterproductive?

Thank you!

Total Credits: 16

Physiology w/ Lab
Organic Chemistry w/Lab
Microbiology w/Lab
Human Developmental Psychology

Members don't see this ad.

Only you can answer this.

I am enrolling for classes next semester. Would this sound terrible? I love science classes, but I have never had three science courses in a semester before. I am wondering if those from experience who have taken 3 science courses if you were still able to maintain a decent GPA...Otherwise, would this type of schedule be counterproductive?

Thank you!

Physiology w/ Lab
Organic Chemistry w/Lab
Microbiology w/Lab

Reactions: 1 user
I've taken 3 or more science courses in a semester multiple times. It's absolutely doable, but I sucked at organic chemistry and definitely needed more time to devote to it than all other courses. I ended up dropping it. It just depends on your strengths and weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
@JustLookingforAnswers If that's your schedule because you have to do it, then start studying a little bit today. No one knows what your prior GPA or academic performance is like and even then no one knows the rigor of your program. Even if you combine those two elements, there is no guarantee that anyone can give you a guarantee on when it comes to exams. The most accurate reading if you have genuine fears, concerns, or doubts is to use your free time in order to start hedging out the material. I've found that people have a good idea of being conservative and financially saving money, but have no idea of how to perceive their own ability to retain or recall information. If you're worried about time management of all those courses because you can't handle the pacing, then doesn't it make sense to start pacing yourself right now to give yourself an idea of what you're going to be up against?

Haven't we all learned in Chemistry that serial dilutions can be used to reduce the concentration of material in a substance but still maintain proper proportionality to the density of the original solution? If I'm not mistaken, most schools make it relatively easy to obtain a syllabus and students are relatively open about the rigor of their program to the point of openly complaining about it. You can always do something today if you're truly concerned about tomorrow.

I did ochem 2, micro, and physics 2 in one semester and managed an A in all 3. As previously said, it really depends on the individual. From my personal experience, having a study partner who is taking at least 2 of those 3 is very helpful. It keeps you on track and motivated. Best of luck!

Really only you can know if this is doable for yourself, but I would just say that having 3 labs at once is hard. I don't know if you work/research/volunteer or not, but having those huge chunks of lab time are sometimes hard to work around.

Reactions: 1 users
Really only you can know if this is doable for yourself, but I would just say that having 3 labs at once is hard. I don't know if you work/research/volunteer or not, but having those huge chunks of lab time are sometimes hard to work around.
Great point. A lot of people don't factor in that depending on the institution, labs almost feel like they are almost an extra class at times despite the difference being a single credit.

Certainly doable. Most of my college semesters I took only science classes and was fine. But bear in mind that you will have to make some sacrifices in order to succeed in a science-dense semester! Also, three labs might be a bit of a time-suck. Good luck!

You most likely won't have a life outside of the classroom, lab, or library but if you're okay with that then go for it.

Certainly doable. Most of my college semesters I took only science classes and was fine. But bear in mind that you will have to make some sacrifices in order to succeed in a science-dense semester! Also, three labs might be a bit of a time-suck. Good luck!

3 labs are brutal! I took biochem w/ lab, cell bio w/ lab, ochem II lab, and a stats course this semester. I just had my 3 lab finals yesterday and this morning. So glad that is over!!

yeah, I agree with the above posters. depending on your institution and prior performance in science courses with labs, results could vary. I'd also argue that you're technically taking FOUR science courses because psych is not necessarily a walk in the park either.

I'd personally attempt it only if I had to and had good experiences with 2+ science courses before. labs can definitely also be rough. good luck!

Currently taking 2 upper div Physics courses + lab, orgo 1 + lab, and calc 3. I hate my life. Have two weeks left, and am sitting with an A, and I'm pretty sure 3 90's, so I could either get a 3.7, or 3.5. Tread lightly, I do not wish this hell even on my enemies. +pity+

Thank you!

Physiology w/ Lab
Organic Chemistry w/Lab
Microbiology w/Lab

Only do as a last resort.

Only you have the power to prevent forest (GPA) fires.

Personally, I would never sign up for 3 labs and a psych course.

Some people are much better at college than I was though.

Thank you!

Physiology w/ Lab
Organic Chemistry w/Lab
Microbiology w/Lab
If you cannot maintain your grades taking that course load, medical school might not be for you. You definitely should be able to do fine with that.

If you cannot maintain your grades taking that course load, medical school might not be for you. You definitely should be able to do fine with that.

Thank you!

I am currently taking Anatomy, Chemistry, Psychology, and English now and have almost 100 averages in all of them so far. So, I guess I will try it out!!

Thank you for your input seeker.

Definitely doable and can maintain social life. However, that statement is strongly dependent upon your professors/university... can't just generalize, because some courses are easy at some institutions and tougher at others. The other courses I took with ochem were similar to what you're doing, maybe a tidge easier, but here's my toughest semester that was still compatible with a social organization and two research projects: pchem w/lab, achem w/lab, medicinal chem, anatomy w/lab, developmental biology