Is this a clinical experience? Or shadowing? Or just research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Australopithekus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've spent the last couple years working once every other week or so as part of an experimental surgery research team which operates on large mammals. I typically place IV lines, intubate the animals, and run anesthesia throughout the surgery, and of course, spend quite a bit of time observing the orthopedic surgeon at work.

I originally intended to call this a research activity, but I'm not sure that's the best fit for it. I personally wasn't doing research; I was assisting and observing a surgeon. The patients weren't human, but I've observed human surgeries too and the process is remarkably similar.

How would you classify this experience? @LizzyM, @hushcom, or one of the other experts, could you possibly give me your opinion?
Though a highly-relevant, interesting experience, this is not the type of active clinical experience that human med school adcomms are looking for. There is no one right way to list it.
1) You might consider using the designation of "Other" since it's a mixed bag. You could title it Animal Anesthetist (or however you'd call yourself) & Orthopedic Shadowing.
2) Or list is as Shadowing, but evoke your other role in the title.
3) Or, list it under Research/Lab, because the activity does represent a Lab experience, even though you are more of an aide, rather than a researcher yourself, which is clear from the description.
4) Or, last choice (if paid) call it Employment-Medical/Clinical, but make sure the title reflects the animal surgery component so it won't be misconstrued, again adding in the &Shadowing.

I'd go with "research". Clearly it is research with animals. I have seen applicants describe small mammal surgeries that they have learned to perform; to me, this isn't much different except that the animals are much bigger than mice, rats or zebrafish. Do you know what the hypothesis was/is? How data is collected? What results have been gathered thus far?

Are you heavy in "research" and hoping to categorize this as something else to fill in a gap? That's a horse of a different color. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the opinions!

@LizzyM, I do have a strong research background and I typically play a major role in planning the experiments, writing the papers, and presenting the data, so this seems a bit different. I could discuss the hypothesis/methods/results for hours, but it isn't really my project and I don't feel that I'm a researcher in it as much as an anesthetist. I've spent some time shadowing an orthopedic surgeon in his regular work as well, and this experience feels more like shadowing than research to me, except that I also get to participate as well!

I do small rodent operations too- this is dramatically different. The surgical team, equipment, training, and other considerations required for operating on 110 kilogram sheep are far more demanding than those for 20 gram mice. It's very much like working in a regular OR, from what I've observed.

Are you heavy in "research" and hoping to categorize this as something else to fill in a gap? That's a horse of a different color. ;)

Perhaps just a little. ;) But this is pretty dissimilar from my own research work and I have a hard time categorizing them together.

Well, you wouldn't lump this experience in with the other experience. It would be separate. It is more "tech" than "intellectual" in terms of engagement in research and by itself if would not be impressive (you are a tech rather than someone involved in the design and analysis) but it is too cool not to list and "other" just seems to generic.
You'll be "the sheep guy". It is a fabulous hook. (or is that a crook?)

Reactions: 1 user