Is this a feasible way to push back from Mid-level encroachment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally, I think the solution is to graduate double or triple the number of CRNAs every year so as to allow employer and practices ample discretion on salaries and hiring/firing. I'd like to see between 5-10K CRNA graduating every year. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think the solution is to graduate double or triple the number of CRNAs every year so as to allow employer and practices ample discretion on salaries and hiring/firing. I'd like to see between 5-10K CRNA graduating every year. ;)

Oh god, no more AANA foot soldiers!
Support AA legislation in every state.
They are so much more pleasant to work with. It was a game changer in my old group.
Absolutely zero difference in quality compared to CRNAs, and much better, more collegial attitudes.

Reactions: 4 users
That's because they all want to go home by 3pm ;)

I moonlight at the VA and do ortho cases. It's nearly impossible to add any cases after 3 pm or before a holiday. I had a case scheduled at 2 pm and due to the prior surgeries taking too long, I was going to be starting around 5. They insisted I cancel the case because it was going to be late and they would haveto use the call team. I said absolutely not..surprisingly they found an extra room to open and got me in at 3.

Another time, I had a nondisplaced femoral shaft come into clinic in Tuesday before Thanksgiving in the afternoon. I decided to board it as an addon for Wed after 12. Or nurse manager told me that it would go after 3 at the earliest and since it's before the holiday the call team won't want to come in. I said OK, then put it on for Thursday 7-8 am on Thanksgiving. Needless to say, I got a call from ortho Dept chair saying due to the holiday, he's shipping the fx.

So, ya staff surgeons don't care and everyone at the VA is lazy as f. Typical staff ortho surgeon is seeing 12-15 patients per day. I see 50 in private practice.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes exactly. Physician assistants now want to be called physician associates. The creep will happen.

Maybe, but not for many YEARS down the road if at all. Remember, AAs were invented by and primarily taught by Anesthesiologists to be part of an ACT model. This is different from the nursing “top of license” BS taught commonly in CRNA, NP and now PA schools. Plus AAs haven’t been indoctrinated through undergraduate programs as nurses sadly are.

That being said, the “physician associate” movement is for now somewhat very much on the fringe. I see this changing, but very slowly over the next decade or so as more PAs become “fellowship” trained.

It’s a much better solution. We are hopeful to get them in my home state in the next couple of years.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't understand why paying less for a lesser trained person would be hard to make happen or be inappropriate.

Please correct me if I'm wrong,, but as understand it, dermatologists get paid more to cut off your mole or freeze your wart than your PCP does, even though it's the same procedure.

I don't understand why paying less for a lesser trained person would be hard to make happen or be inappropriate.

Please correct me if I'm wrong,, but as understand it, dermatologists get paid more to cut off your mole or freeze your wart than your PCP does, even though it's the same procedure.
Depends on the insurance, but that's not always true. Its definitely not true with government payers

Do you really wanna make the competition more affordable?? Am I the only one that sees that as a major problem?

Do you really wanna make the competition more affordable?? Am I the only one that sees that as a major problem?
It's only a question. I really don't have strong opinions about this. I just think if there's no physician involved in the care of a patient, it would make sense to pay less for the care. Insurance companies would like that but I think it would more incentivise hospitals and anesthesia groups to keep physicians involved in the care of patients, as it would make more economic sense.

Bad idea right here