Is this a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiringdoctor_56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an F in a class first semester and didn't really go to office hours or talk to them at all because I thought I could do it pass the class after the first test that I failed but I guess everything at the moment was a bit too overwhelming and I couldn't. Would it be a good idea to get a LOR from this same professor when I retake it next semester if show effort and go to office hours?

Members don't see this ad.

And only if you get an A. Even then it may be risky.

So do I have to get reccomendation letters from professors that teach a class that I got an A in bc it shows the most interest? I would like to know if anyone else agrees with me that Lors are also good when you show improvement in a class especially a pre req like calc or bio

Members don't see this ad :)
So do I have to get reccomendation letters from professors that teach a class that I got an A in bc it shows the most interest? I would like to know if anyone else agrees with me that Lors are also good when you show improvement in a class especially a pre req like calc or bio
Without having failed one of their previous classes, not necessarily. You'll want LORs from professors who you've kindled a relationship with and are aware of your motivation to study medicine.

I can't imagine that an A- would significantly damage a professor's LOR.

I would show commitment and actually go to office hours. Keep in mind though that the prof my include things in the letter that you may not appreciate, like "Johnny showed a lot of improvement after failing my class the first time. They actually came to class and tried the second time around and now they are a great student."

Getting a LOR from this prof may draw even more attention the the F on your record, which would not be in your best interest regardless of how good the rest of your letter is.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd take a pass on this one unless you have a really good rapport with the prof, AND ace the course the second time around.

I got an F in a class first semester and didn't really go to office hours or talk to them at all because I thought I could do it pass the class after the first test that I failed but I guess everything at the moment was a bit too overwhelming and I couldn't. Would it be a good idea to get a LOR from this same professor when I retake it next semester if show effort and go to office hours?

Letters of recommendation should generally come from a faculty member who know you well enough and assigned you some form of an A grade. If you get a B or B+ and the instructor can really tell that you put forth great effort, that may still work. However, I am talking about first attempts here.

If you have to attempt a course a second time, that would be a lot more risky.