Is this a good MCAT study plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyBravo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I plan to take the MCAT next April and would like to begin a light review now. I'm not going to take any Review Courses but I plan on purchasing the Berkeley Review books, entire Examkracker set, and PR Course Science and verbal workbooks. I will use the Examkracker books to review and learn test strategy. After doing this, I will do the passages from the BR and TPR books while doing practice tests in between. Is this too much material to cover? I know I can do it. Or should I just stick with one test prep company. I'm using all three because I know they all have their strength and weaknesses. Any advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I just used the EK set and practice aamc tests to prepare and did well enough(30P) on the MCAT. I started studying in february and started taking the aamc tests a month before the april test. It's all about being disciplined and staying focused.

I have decided just to use the EK 10 week study schedule along with the complete study package for EK and 1001 questions for each subjects for review. For practice, I will use Kaplan's full length tests (I took Kaplan last October and have all their full length tests, topicals, and subject tests) and AAMC tests (will purchase). I already started the 10 week schedule on June 12 and should be able to repeat the schedule several times before next April's test.

Members don't see this ad :)
if i were you i would start studying in january 2006...the problem with starting now is that you may burn yourself out because the mcat will always be in the back of your mind. also, you're going to have a half hearted 'there's so much time left' attitude for much of the time anyway
the only thing that might help you out in your long term plan is practice for the verbal section, but 12 weeks is definitely enough to prepare for the bs and ps

if you go hard core starting in january then you'll have ample time to prepare
good luck (btw i got in the high 30s in case you're wondering how valid this advice is)

Thanks for your advise. I think my biggest problem with the MCAT was that I have taken these science pre-reqs several yrs back (graduated from college back on 1999) and had to really re-learn everything on my own, which I found very tough. I took the Kaplan prep course last October, but nothing really sunk in cause I was re-learning the content plus trying to learn the stratergies of the exam....while some of my classmates, Kaplan was really helpful 'cause they were taking the actual course in college at the same time they were taking Kaplan. After studying for the April 2005 exam, I feel that I have a better understanding of the subject matter now and just really polish up on my weaknesses. I even considered re-taking the prerequisite classes but just don't have the cash to shell out.