Is this a realistic plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akaCobee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a couple weeks into my journey as a pre-med student at a small university in Florida yet, I'm very anxious about my future.

I have a lot of interest in orthopedic surgery as well as biomedical engineering. Therefore, I would love to pursue both during my career. I hope to get into a MD/PhD (or MSTP) program after my undergrad and I know I have to work my butt off starting now in order to get into any MSTP program. I've researched a few schools that have a Biomedical/Bioengineering graduate program as well as a MSTP program.

I know that I want to work in medicine, but I also want to make a contribution to medical technology and artificial organs as well. I know that I might change my mind sometime throughout my studies. I already have some interest in pathology, immunology, and oncology. I want to spend most of my career in a clinical setting than in a research lab. Does orthopedic surgery and biomedical engineering go hand-to-hand?

I am currently a Pre-Med Biology Major. Due to dual enrollment and AP credit, I'm a sophomore credit-wise. Since I'm considering minoring in Mechanical Engineering (in order to have some engineering experience for Biomedical Engineering), I might as well consider myself a freshman. I'm also considering switching my major to Biochemistry because it shares a few prereqs with Mechanical Engineering and has more advanced topics I'm interested in. My school has an undergraduate research program that I hope to pursue the summer of 2016.

I have an appointment with my pre-med advisor soon for the first time and I wanted to make sure my career goals make sense. Is my plan realistic?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes this is a reasonable plan. However you seem to be all over the place/putting the cart before the horse.

You need to think sbout your plan in terms of short term and long term goals.

Short term goals for you should be something like getting > 3.x gpa first and second semester this coming year.

Mid term goals might then been choosing a major; finding a good mentor and research project, crushing the mcat and being accepted into an md/phd program in biomedical engineering.

Long term goals are good to have but understand that they may very well change. It's way too early to decide if orthopedic surgery is the right career path for you. Focus on getting through pre med first.

Good luck.