Is this a Sign I Should Pursue Another Career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling completely demoralized right now.

I'm on day 4 of SN2ed's MCAT study program. So far, I'm getting roughly 50% right in the sections I'm doing (TBR)...that equates to like a 21 on the MCAT. I've done so well in my sciences (3.8), so I've got to say I'm pretty shocked. I'm starting to wonder if the MCAT is going to be the road block that prevents me from becoming a doctor. Should I be worried my scores are so low right now?

Members don't see this ad.

I found TBR to be more difficult than the actual MCAT. Just focus on going over your passages that you do to understand WHY you got each question right or wrong.

Remember, the MCAT is more than just general knowledge....its being able to understand how to "speak MCAT" so to say. That comes with a ridiculous amount of practice.

You'll be fine. Good Luck and work hard :)

Dont use TBR as a predictor of your score. Use it as a review of the concepts and your test-taking abilities.

Only the official AAMC tests can come close to predicting your score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know how you feel. When I first started studying for the MCAT I got maybe 10-20% correct every single passage I went through. I started questioning my own abilities and wondered whether or not my academic performance during undergrad was a fluke. I kept at it though and tried to constantly remind myself that making mistakes and learning from them is half the battle. I know it's hard to keep your head up during something like this, but you can do it. Make sure to review what you got wrong and really understand the answer. I also found that TBR and Princeton Review books were much harder and went much more in depth than the official AAMC tests (and the real thing). So just keep at it and don't give up. You'll do fine. Good luck!

Appreciate the support guys.

In addition to TBR passages, can anyone recommend other books to use for passage work?

I want to do a minimum of 6-8 passages a day to really get comfortable with the way things are being asked. Should I just go with EK, or are there other worthwhile options as well to supplement?

EK worked well enough for me. I can honestly say there wasn't anything on the 5-6 practice tests I took and the real thing that wasn't covered in the books. Didn't seem to help much with the verbal section, however (then again, what does?).

50% really isn't that bad if you are just starting out. If, when you are reading over the explanations, you still feel lost, then you should think about going on a more expensive review approach. If, when you are reading over the explanations, you are wondering why you didn't think of that in the first place since you get it, you are well on your way. It seems as though your EK plan is quite solid. Personally, I thought that the Kaplan study books (note, not the course, just the books with the material) were pretty useful and were broken up into really manageable sections. There wasn't anything on the test that wasn't there and the books were light weight enough that I could carry one of them with me most of the time.

Personal 2 cents - practice makes perfect. I too recommend EK because they have the 101 verbal/bio/physics/etc. books that you can hammer formatting over and over again. BUT make sure you fully understand basic sciences first! How can you answer an MCAT question, which challenges critical thinking, if you don't know the simple principles?

Sign you should change your career? No
A challenge on your path to become a physician? ABSOLUTELY!! Do it to it! Good luck!

Dude, you're only four days in, give yourself a break.

Reactions: 1 user
Like others have said...I did AWFUL on the BR passages and was very worried like you but ended up doing fine on the MCAT

50% really isn't that bad if you are just starting out. If, when you are reading over the explanations, you still feel lost, then you should think about going on a more expensive review approach. If, when you are reading over the explanations, you are wondering why you didn't think of that in the first place since you get it, you are well on your way. It seems as though your EK plan is quite solid. Personally, I thought that the Kaplan study books (note, not the course, just the books with the material) were pretty useful and were broken up into really manageable sections. There wasn't anything on the test that wasn't there and the books were light weight enough that I could carry one of them with me most of the time.

I'd say 7/8 times, I think "why didn't I think of that". I'm guessing after a few months of dedicated practice, I actually will be "thinking of that"?

I'm on day 4 of SN2ed's MCAT study program. So far, I'm getting roughly 50% right in the sections I'm doing (TBR)...that equates to like a 21 on the MCAT. I've done so well in my sciences (3.8), so I've got to say I'm pretty shocked. I'm starting to wonder if the MCAT is going to be the road block that prevents me from becoming a doctor. Should I be worried my scores are so low right now?

Don't! Don't fall into this trap! Because you're smart you're likely in the habit of just "getting" things at the first pass, which is awesome, but such ease is not what lies ahead of you on this career path. MCAT science is not science-science, so while previous success in classes helps it's not the make-or-break trait for a good score. You're demonstrating to yourself with your performance now 1) why you invested in the training materials in the first place 2) why you're investing time in studying, and that's because the MCAT is its own system. This is how learning works for most people, so don't fall into the trap of "I'm failing at the practice material, so I fail at life." It's not true and it's not fair and you will regret it if you give in to the neuroticism (experience, I speak from it). Focus on why you're failing and think about the MCAT system you're learning; it's just as much about test-taking strategy as it is content knowledge. If you don't introspect and revise, then yes it may reflect your future score. Keep going!

I was getting 50% on TBR Bio initially, and in the end got a 12 BS on the real thing. You need to keep on going. Four days is way early in your studying to have any worries about not performing well.

So in terms of practice passages...

I've got TBR and EK 101 series.

In terms of discretes I've got the EK 1001 series.

Is there anything else I should get?

TBR is hard as a mother ****er. I used the gen chem and physics books did about as well as you did when I first started studying. By the time I took the real deal MCAT, I scored a 12 on the PS section. Stick with it. TBR material is worth it, no matter how insanely frustrating it is.

Yep. Not doing as well as you hoped after four days of a 2-3 month study program. Better pack it in.