Is this a valid reason for an acceptance deferral?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oeluy2004

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently started a new job at a small biotech before I got my dental acceptances. I locked in my acceptance at BU, but now I'm contemplating applying for a deferral. I guess the reason would be because of my commitment to the job I started (it's project based and I guess they originally hired me thinking I'd be there for at least a year) and I don't want to leave them midway especially because the work they do is for really good causes and funded by foundations. Another reason I guess is that working a year would put me in a better financial situation since loans are a bit more complicated for international students. If I deferred one year I'd also graduate at the same time as my partner doing a PhD at the same place and we'd be able to move back to our country at the same time.

I think this would be a pretty unpopular idea since everyone wants to get their DMD/DDS as soon as they can. I'm 100% sure I want to be a dentist, but I guess most of it is that I'd feel pretty scummy for leaving the company so soon, so I'd like some input.

Members don't see this ad.

because of my commitment to the job I started (it's project based and I guess they originally hired me thinking I'd be there for at least a year) and I don't want to leave them midway especially because the work they do is for really good causes and funded by foundations

It's awesome that you found something you're so passionate about. I say go for it. Plenty of people don't go to dental school straight out of college, and it's these kinds of experiences that make life unique.

. Another reason I guess is that working a year would put me in a better financial situation since loans are a bit more complicated for international students.

I think you should work at the biotech, but I doubt that finances are a good reason. You're losing 1 year of the highest pay of your dental income (let's say $200K) + BU's tuition will increase next year by another 3-4% and you'll end up paying 3-4% more for each year next year than you would have if you enrolled this year. Unless the biotech job is paying enough to account for all of these factors, I think ultimately you'll lose out on some money by postponing dental school for 1 year.

But that's perfectly all right because your passion for the biotech job is a great reason to pursue it. So go for it.

Edit: this is all assuming BU will grant the deferral and not give your seat away.

Have you considered communicating your situation to the company? I’d be shocked that they wouldn’t be supportive of you leaving for school. Definitely talk to them about it first to see what they think.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no guarantee you will be accepted again if you reapply next year, and I doubt BU would let you do a formal deferral for a job.

It's awesome that you found something you're so passionate about. I say go for it. Plenty of people don't go to dental school straight out of college, and it's these kinds of experiences that make life unique.

I think you should work at the biotech, but I doubt that finances are a good reason. You're losing 1 year of the highest pay of your dental income (let's say $200K) + BU's tuition will increase next year by another 3-4% and you'll end up paying 3-4% more for each year next year than you would have if you enrolled this year. Unless the biotech job is paying enough to account for all of these factors, I think ultimately you'll lose out on some money by postponing dental school for 1 year.

But that's perfectly all right because your passion for the biotech job is a great reason to pursue it. So go for it.

Edit: this is all assuming BU will grant the deferral and not give your seat away.

I had a chat with my friend and she had similar input. Assuming that my acceptance isnt going anywhere it would be a really good experience, and it'll add some diversity in my life. 30 years of dentistry isn't all that different from 31 years.

BU was really good at showing me they wanted me there. Apart from the 20k/year scholarship I did have the opportunity to chat with the dean who was very warm and encouraging. I think I would frame my reason for deferment on the current project I'm working on at the company. Basically the project is for finding a cure for a very rare disease, specifically funded by a foundation created by the family of one of the kids with the disease. So I guess we could say we're racing time to find a cure for this kid. Definitely feels fulfilling enough for me to defer my acceptance for a year. I think/hope BU would agree.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a chat with my friend and she had similar input. Assuming that my acceptance isnt going anywhere it would be a really good experience, and it'll add some diversity in my life. 30 years of dentistry isn't all that different from 31 years.

BU was really good at showing me they wanted me there. Apart from the 20k/year scholarship I did have the opportunity to chat with the dean who was very warm and encouraging. I think I would frame my reason for deferment on the current project I'm working on at the company. Basically the project is for finding a cure for a very rare disease, specifically funded by a foundation created by the family of one of the kids with the disease. So I guess we could say we're racing time to find a cure for this kid. Definitely feels fulfilling enough for me to defer my acceptance for a year. I think/hope BU would agree.

Thanks a lot for your input.

You're right. I really admire how driven you are about this project. All the best with your future & the research.