Is this accurate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I just bought the NEW ADEA book and saw that UCSF had only 286 out of state applicants and interview 86 of them and accepted 34. Is this a typo?? (sometimes ADEA make mistakes) 86/286 is actually a VERY HIGH percentage, higher then in state which they had 1705 people applied and only interview 213 and accepted 106. This means its easier to get an interview as an OUT OF state applicant to UCSF? that can't be true can it? (great if it is though...lol..) what do guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about those numbers too having looked through the guide. I think the out-of-state applicant pools for the UC schools are considerably stronger on the whole than the in-state pools. I'm assuming those who apply from out of state are stronger applicants to begin with. I mean, it's tough enough to get accepted to the UC's from out of state based on the limited number of seats alloted for non-residents, so I think most out-of-staters tend not to burn their money unless they are strong applicants.

But if you happen to be a strong out-of-state applicant, I guess those numbers would give you some relief, since receiving an interview means that you're being seriously considered.

thanks for the reply... I am an good enough applicant i guess... 21AA/22TS/18PAT... 3.8 science/3.9 overall. I would apply to UCLA but the numbers are 671 apply from out of state and 25 interviewed!!! and If UCSF is 286 apply from OUT of state and 86 interviewed then it would BE great... but if its a typo and they mean 2860 apply and 86 interviewed or something like that then I am NOT going to burn my money either...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
:oops: i have received interviews from both UCLA and UCSF, and i have decide to go to UCSF and turned down all the other interviews+acceptances.

Yes, I am an out of state applicant.

It is possible to get an interview and even acceptances from both UC schools with well balanced application in all aspects representing you.

Even though the statistics for how many get an interview and an acceptance at different places (UCs in this case with total of less than 30 out-of-state students + international students) might look overwhelmingly important at the time of researching through different schools, if you feel confident that one of the UCs are right for you, you have a very HIGH chance of getting in there.

The whole application process to dental schools with this amount of highly well quilified applicant may seem like insanity - But, believe me, many of the applicants actually end up at one of their top choices or the school they got accepted to eventually becomes his/her top choice in the end.

Everybody has a place set and prepared before them if one has the right motivation, and if you believe that you are the right fit for UCSF or UCLA.

Well there you go, welcome to the UCs.:oops:

the requirements for out of state is usually a tad bit higher.

yeah, I am hoping thats why there was only 286 applicants for UCSF out of state...b/c people were scare to apply there and get rejected.. but all the OTHER CA schools had many many many more applicants from out of state thats why i thought there might be a typo...

the requirements for out of state is usually a tad bit higher.