Is this allowed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cali88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current junior in college and I need to fulfill 5 of the pre med requirements within the next 2 semesters (senior year). I am taking the MCAT next january but will more than likely need 2 pre med classes after I graduate. So my question is if it's possible for me to complete those 2 classes I will need after I graduate from my university at another university as summer classes. I would need to take a year off before applying to med school because of this but I was just wondering if it's possible to take classes after you graduate from a university just to take some pre med requirements during the summer. Please let me know. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Eh.. take a 5year.. because you need to have all the pre-reqs done before graduating.

The thing is that my university does not offer a 5 year plan. I would have to take the missing requirements during the summer at a state university right after I graduate form the university I currently attend. Is this possible? Or what should I do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Then apply for another university because that means you'll have to do a post-doc which will cost alot.
While i dont recommend it, if all else fails community college is alright at this..

The thing is that my university does not offer a 5 year plan. I would have to take the missing requirements during the summer at a state university right after I graduate form the university I currently attend. Is this possible? Or what should I do?

Yeah, it sounds like that could work.

Then apply for another university because that means you'll have to do a post-doc which will cost alot.
While i dont recommend it, if all else fails community college is alright at this..

Um, you mean post-bacc not post-doc. Completely different things.

I took a summer organic 2 lab with a guy who was headed to med school in the next month. So there is one data point for "possible."

Not really...you can take pre-reqs anywhere without being in another formal degree program. And post doc? thats after your get your doctoral degree buddy. I think our OP has a little ways to go before he gets to that stage.

Can you take the extra classes this summer? You don't have to have all your pre-reqs done before you apply. You can complete them in the year off anywhere, although preferably not at a community college. Just make sure you send the transcript in to AMCAS.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I cannot take classes this summer because I will be doing an internship and I don't want to pass up that opportunity. So, I will probably do what CRB mentioned and take the classes that summer at a university and not a community college so it won't look that bad. Also, do med schools expect for you to do something during your year off?

Thanks. Unfortunately, I cannot take classes this summer because I will be doing an internship and I don't want to pass up that opportunity. So, I will probably do what CRB mentioned and take the classes that summer at a university and not a community college so it won't look that bad. Also, do med schools expect for you to do something during your year off?

Generally yes. You should at least be working part time and volunteering or, if you can't get a job, volunteer a lot. Otherwise you might get into an interview like this. If (as an interviewer) I encountered a student who is interviewing and yet doing nothing on their year off...well I would not be impressed.