is this allowed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmayer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd transfer my question over here as there are more responses compared to the osteo forums.

If I defer an acceptance for a year, can I retake the MCAT in the meantime and apply MD? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now by this new proposal from the ACGME about DO's in their fellowships and it would be a pain in the ass for me to practice in MI (which is what I want)... and my life is hard enough as it is being a Canadian and dealing with visa issues, and crazy tuition.... It has nothing to do with being an MD or DO, its a matter of expanding my options in the future. Do I have to report a new MCAT score to the deferred DO school? I mean, if I pay my deposit I have saved a seat, so I don't see how the school could cut you out. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I'd transfer my question over here as there are more responses compared to the osteo forums.

If I defer an acceptance for a year, can I retake the MCAT in the meantime and apply MD? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now by this new proposal from the ACGME about DO's in their fellowships and it would be a pain in the ass for me to practice in MI (which is what I want)... and my life is hard enough as it is being a Canadian and dealing with visa issues, and crazy tuition.... It has nothing to do with being an MD or DO, its a matter of expanding my options in the future. Do I have to report a new MCAT score to the deferred DO school? I mean, if I pay my deposit I have saved a seat, so I don't see how the school could cut you out. Any thoughts?

I believe you are allowed to do this, but most schools don't let you defer without good reason.

thank you...any other inputs are appreciated...

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you...any other inputs are appreciated...
Your AMCAS application will ask if you are a reapplicant and if you have previously matriculated. If you are not forthcoming about your previous application your acceptance (should it be offered) could be revoked.

Deferment letters routinely contain a clause which indicates that the student agrees not to accept an offer from another school as a condition of the agreement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your AMCAS application will ask if you are a reapplicant and if you have previously matriculated. If you are not forthcoming about your previous application your acceptance (should it be offered) could be revoked.

Deferment letters routinely contain a clause which indicates that the student agrees not to accept an offer from another school as a condition of the agreement.

oh great, this makes me life much more complicating...*#*#***#$*#*$

Why would you apply to a program that you would not attend if you got into? I would take the seat and worry about the future when you get there. Worst case scenario in applying is losing your seat and not getting an acceptance anywhere. I wouldn't risk it.

Why would you apply to a program that you would not attend if you got into? I would take the seat and worry about the future when you get there. Worst case scenario in applying is losing your seat and not getting an acceptance anywhere. I wouldn't risk it.

At the time of applications (after I decided not to re-write MCAT) I realized as a Canadian DO I can not even apply to AOA residencies, ouch... I need an ACGME residency that sponsors a visa which kills the range of specialties I can go into. It was due to a lack in information and research on my behalf. Now with the proposed ACGME changes I am re-thinking everything. Hence why I wanted to defer my acceptance and try MD in the meantime...

It irks me when people say this. Do you honestly think at the beginning of the cycle OP was like "I'm going to apply to this DO school for fun, waste hundreds of dollars on the application and travel, even though I have no intention of matriculating there if I get accepted"?

You do understand that when most people apply, they have all the intention of going to those schools, right? It's when they either interview or research their school/decision more thoroughly, that they end up having second thoughts. Of course they should have probably researched it more thoroughly before applying, but people still have a right to change their minds.

At the time of applications (after I decided not to re-write MCAT) I realized as a Canadian DO I can not even apply to AOA residencies, ouch... I need an ACGME residency that sponsors a visa which kills the range of specialties I can go into. It was due to a lack in information and research on my behalf. Now with the proposed ACGME changes I am re-thinking everything. Hence why I wanted to defer my acceptance and try MD in the meantime...

You have been accepted to a US DO school and want to practice in the US in the future; have you thought about getting US citizenship while in medical school? Do you think that would that solve the problem?

You have been accepted to a US DO school and want to practice in the US in the future; have you thought about getting US citizenship while in medical school? Do you think that would that solve the problem?

The only way for me to be able to not require a visa for residency is by marrying an american and obtaining my green card... i may have to resort to this :D