Is this an appropriate consult from me, an EM doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

unchartedem

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I was wondering if I had an inevitable abortion or incomplete abortion if it's reasonable to give you guys a call. Or should I just go in myself and try to evacuate everything? I'm just starting out as an attending in a community ED so Im asking questions to basically everyone now. I've never managed this alone in residency, but wonder if this changes in practice.
 
It is absolutely appropriate!

I moonlighted at a small community hospital during my fellowship. The ED docs handled a myriad of GYN issues, arranged follow up with the local practice, and called me just as an FYI and/or curbside. However, with incomplete and inevitable abortions they rightfully consulted. It allowed them to keep on rolling with their patients, while I came in and did what was relatively straightforward.

Good luck with the new job!
 
Hi,

I was wondering if I had an inevitable abortion or incomplete abortion if it's reasonable to give you guys a call. Or should I just go in myself and try to evacuate everything? I'm just starting out as an attending in a community ED so Im asking questions to basically everyone now. I've never managed this alone in residency, but wonder if this changes in practice.

I never mind seeing those consults. We often manage them medically and can see them in the office for follow-up in a few days. Obviously, if they are hemorrhaging and need a D&C, definitely call. And if its a second trimester pregnancy, don't forget about cervical insufficiency. Just because they are dilated doesn't mean that its an inevitable Ab. The patient may be a candidate for an "exam indicated" cerclage.

We don't need to be consulted on a threatened Ab.