Quantcast

Is this behavior normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

When I first became interested in medicine (which was a little bit over a year ago), I loved everything about it. All of the material was new to me, and I would spend countless hours dedicated towards studying numerous pathologies and malignancies that occur throughout the human body. I have never been so enthusiastic and passionate about a certain subject in my life, I seriously had that moment in my life where I wanted to pursue a career in medicine. Histology was one of my favorite, along with hematology. However, just recently for unknown reasons, I have suddenly lost my passion for it. Reading science, etc. seems like a mundane, arduous task and no longer captures my attention. I am afraid this type of behavior may continue into the future because I do not want to consider switch my undergrad major in the health sciences field...

Is this normal? Where you are first passionate, excited, etc. about the topic but then suddenly your passion for it fades?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Meeehai

Reaction score
You don't have to be "passionate" about the material, as long as it's not a burden for you to learn it, you're okay.

Reactions: 1 users

NotASerialKiller

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Shadow physicians and get some clinical experience, see if you're passionate about that. I think it's safe to say that most med students don't have a passion for histology, so that's not crucial.

Reactions: 1 users

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Shadow physicians and get some clinical experience, see if you're passionate about that. I think it's safe to say that most med students don't have a passion for histology, so that's not crucial.

You are not allowed to shadow me.

Reactions: 1 user

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

When I first became interested in medicine (which was a little bit over a year ago), I loved everything about it. All of the material was new to me, and I would spend countless hours dedicated towards studying numerous pathologies and malignancies that occur throughout the human body. I have never been so enthusiastic and passionate about a certain subject in my life, I seriously had that moment in my life where I wanted to pursue a career in medicine. Histology was one of my favorite, along with hematology. However, just recently for unknown reasons, I have suddenly lost my passion for it. Reading science, etc. seems like a mundane, arduous task and no longer captures my attention. I am afraid this type of behavior may continue into the future because I do not want to consider switch my undergrad major in the health sciences field...

Is this normal? Where you are first passionate, excited, etc. about the topic but then suddenly your passion for it fades?

Are there actually people like this
I mean we all read stuff on wikipedia for fun but pls stop pretending it's some kind of whirlwind romance

Reactions: 2 users

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you know I don't already?

ktVYVuq.png

YFhvn8N.png

lJdu0R8.png

yVjSwGG.png

Reactions: 14 users

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
TBH I feel/felt the same way.

I think that's why OP is asking if it is normal

i just hide mine
I mean I just think it's a bit overdramatic
Everyone likes reading about new things and facts at a superficial level
Pop science is easy and fun

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score

Who said I read anything posted on Popscience? I haven't even heard of that site until you just mentioned it right now.

I mostly read research articles posted on NCBI, researchgate, Blood Journal, etc.

Last edited:

samac

Tinfoil hoarder, Rojo extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
    Reaction score
    Who said I read anything posted on Popscience? I haven't even heard of that site until you just mentioned it right now.

I mostly read research articles posted on NCBI, researchgate, etc.
    I think he was referring to popular science, not a specific website.

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    Reaction score
    I think he was referring to popular science, not a specific website.

Then maybe he should've clarified in his post because there is a website called PopularScience that does post material at a "superficial level".

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    2+ Year Member
    Reaction score

I mostly read research articles posted on NCBI, researchgate, Blood Journal, etc.
    I meant popular science, I've never heard of that site
    Also have fun reading those I guess
    Most of academia is just P hacking anyway

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    Reaction score
    I meant popular science, I've never heard of that site
    Also have fun reading those I guess
    Most of academia is just P hacking anyway

To an extent it can be referred to as "P-hacking", but there are many articles published in NCBI database and other medical journals I have listed that offer a comprehensive and accurate source of information that are vital towards helping Physicians and scientists understand certain pathologies, malignancies, and treatments.

DokterMom

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score

Even when the material you're reading is from serious sources, when you're reading 'for fun' you're only reading the articles that interest you, skipping the ones that don't appeal to you and stopping whenever you want to. Of course, in medical school (and beyond) you have to also learn the boring stuff and you can't stop for the night just because you want to.

Shadowing is a great idea.

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    Reaction score
    Even when the material you're reading is from serious sources, when you're reading 'for fun' you're only reading the articles that interest you, skipping the ones that don't appeal to you and stopping whenever you want to. Of course, in medical school (and beyond) you have to also learn the boring stuff and you can't stop for the night just because you want to.

Shadowing is a great idea.

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

Lost In Transcription

reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated
    2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Buhhh?

Being deeply interested in science and letting it lead to you to learning more is hardly pop science.

This is the same feeling that drives many researchers.

It's obviously not like this all the time but...

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
    7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Hi everyone.

Sounds like you're a normal person that had a passing interest in something then lost it. That's perfectly normal. Most of us are so sick of the basic science of medicine by the end of boards that it really becomes a game of just bearing it, not enjoying it. You'll find something cool every now and again that you find fascinating or blows your mind, but medicine is a job, and like any other, it gets old after a while. Don't expect it to be like waking up to puppies and rainbows every day, because it won't be.