Is this considered publishing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KG89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My abstract was recently put into a FASEB journal supplement, when it's time to apply for residency can I list that as a publication or does that not count since it was in the supplement. I honestly don't even know what a supplement means to be honest if you could explain that as well that would be great.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It would be an abstract. Unless it was peer reviewed by a committee I wouldn't risk calling it a publication.

Reactions: 1 user
What about an abstract that was accepted by the AUA and used as the basis for a poster presentation at a medical conference? Is that considered published?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats considered a poster presentation. Everyone that presents a poster or even that gives an oral talk generally has an abstract that is accepted. However, if your abstract was accepted to the conference's primary journal (and searchable on pubmeb) that would be publishing. This is not common and what you are talking about is really double dipping on your CV. If you had both on your CV it wouldn't be detrimental, but researchers will know that the abstract you are talking about is your poster presentation and isn't really a publication. A publication is something that is searchable, can be cited, and is generally peer reviewed.

Basically, you do the research, present as poster or presentation, and publish. All three are independent events

Reactions: 1 user
I believe eras has the option to put published journal article / abstract. But they are grouped together.

Posted using SDN Mobile