• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Is this course load too much?

Rhino1000

Dec 30, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi guys, I know many of you will be tempted to "look inside myself and I should know if I can handle this workload," but I am curious if YOU would change one of the classes.

Last semester, I took the following classes:
    (5) Organic chemistry I
    (4) Human Anatomy and Physiology I
    (4) Biology II
    (3) American Cinema

I was able to get A's in all of them except Biology II (B), it was actually at an 88%, so I was really close to an A.
    +3 hours a week volunteering.

This took a lot of studying and I wasn't able to hang out with my friends over weekends as much as I would have liked.

This semester, I am planning on taking:
    (5) Organic Chemistry II
    (4) Human Anatomy and Physiology II
    (4) Microbiology**
    (3) Psychology
    **I believe that the microbiology (2100) is not an "upper level class," because I am a sophomore at a community college.

I have a cGPA of 3.6 and a sGPA of 3.84.
    Given my relatively low extracurriculars:
    -70 hours folding towels at a hospital, which I am not longer doing
    -90 hours for another nonclinical volunteer position, which I am still doing 2.5 hours/week

Do you think that I should switch microbiology with macro economics? I would think that macro would be an easier class...
    Also, any comments on how it appears that I am doing, and what I can do to "up my game" in extracurriculars? I applied to one place as a medical scribe, and probably will apply to a few more in the next few weeks here?

*Note: I still need to take Physics I and II.

Last edited:
    About the Ads

MedPR

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    Dec 1, 2011
    1. Pre-Podiatry
      Hi guys, I know many of you will be tempted to "look inside myself and I should know if I can handle this workload," but I am curious if YOU would change one of the classes.

Last semester, I took the following classes:
      (5) Organic chemistry I
      (4) Human Anatomy and Physiology I
      (4) Biology II
      (3) American Cinema

I was able to get A's in all of them except Biology II (B), it was actually at an 88%, so I was really close to an A.
      +3 hours a week volunteering.

This took a lot of studying and I wasn't able to hang out with my friends over weekends as much as I would have liked.

This semester, I am planning on taking:
      (5) Organic Chemistry II
      (4) Human Anatomy and Physiology II
      (4) Microbiology**
      (3) Psychology
      **I believe that the microbiology (2100) is not an "upper level class," because I am a sophomore at a community college.

I have a cGPA of 3.6 and a sGPA of 3.84.
      Given my relatively low extracurriculars:
      -70 hours folding towels at a hospital, which I am not longer doing
      -90 hours for another nonclinical volunteer position, which I am still doing 2.5 hours/week

Do you think that I should switch microbiology with macro economics? I would think that macro would be an easier class...
      Also, any comments on how it appears that I am doing, and what I can do to "up my game" in extracurriculars? I applied to one place as a medical scribe, and probably will apply to a few more in the next few weeks here?

I'd be fine with that workload. I would not work more than part time though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

absolutdokta

Get some!
      10+ Year Member
      Army
      May 31, 2010
      Tarsonis
      1. Attending Physician
        nah. iirc i had physics, ochem, an analytical chem and one other upper class biology course one semester, but i only did a little shadowing that semester. id say it was borderline too much (and if i can hack it believe you can) but i would agree that yours is very doable

gettheleadout

MD
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Jun 23, 2010
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          I appreciate the advice. So let's say I feel that I can fit in 10 hours of extracurriculars, if you were in my shoes what extracurriculars would you try to get involved in?

Either a meaningful clinical volunteering position that you feel you actually get something out of, or shadowing, or continuing the non-clinical volunteering you have going.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.