May 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So, I am applying in June. I am currently volunteering full time at the hospital and will continue to do as many hours as possible throughout the semester. By June, I believe I will have 300-350 hours of hospital volunteering experience plus 80 hours of oncology shadowing. I will have only eight months of consecutive real clinical experience prior to applying. (I have helped to set up free clinics but that is not clinical since cannot really classify them as patients) I will ofc have many more projected hours during the gap year but excluding that is this enough clinical experience?

By hospital volunteering, I was responsible for checking to see if patients have a means of connecting with their families through phone/ipad/laptop, and if they did not we brought in IPads to connect them with their families(due to COVID no visitor policy). Also, I worked in the vascular surgery lab to help patients set up their MyChart account. I was wondering if one clinical experience is enough or if I should have a variety of clinical experiences such as Scribe, EMT, CNA, etc? Thanks!

Last edited:

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Why did you get this far as a pre-med without having obtained experience until your last year of college? It is good that you are taking a gap year (or are you currently a junior)?

Not sure if this will be enough. If will be looked at in light of your entire application.

About the Ads
May 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Why did you get this far as a pre-med without having obtained experience until your last year of college? It is good that you are taking a gap year (or are you currently a junior)?

Not sure if this will be enough. If will be looked at in light of your entire application.
I was really involved in my community as a co-founder of an org that set up multiple free clinics in the underserved area and really worked with expanding healthcare access. I have like 900 hours worth of this over three years in undergrad, which is why I never got a chance to do the traditional clinical work.

Reactions: 1 users

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
I was really involved in my community as a co-founder of an org that set up multiple free clinics in the underserved area and really worked with expanding healthcare access. I have like 900 hours worth of this over three years in undergrad, which is why I never got a chance to do the traditional clinical work.

You are golden.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.