I think the element for you to consider is to dissect out if you would do it anyhow regardless of the money.
I am currently GMO in my final 5 months of service. I joined the Navy because I wanted the experience and wanted to do something different. So I have spent my entire years doing payback and did'nt bother with military residency. Not because of quality, but because I did'nt want to lengthen my obligation.
My best years were at Sea, I have traveled to Thailand, Hong Kong, Australia, and other places in the far east. That and the independent experience was worth it for me. The experiences on my ship will last a lifetime. Also I needed some time to think about my specialty. I am now getting out because I don't like mixing political views with medicine, and I don't agree with the way the military is currently being utilized by the administration. Don't do it just for the money. You will make it up without any problems in the private sector. If the military interests you, and you like to travel then think about it. Also you have to consider that you are making a decision for yourself well into your future. I signed up for HPSP at age 21.
In summary I must say that I enjoyed my service, but you should'nt do it for the money.