Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is this For real?!?!??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by realruby2000, Oct 15, 2001.

1. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member

USNEWS reports that they accepted

CCOM: ~ 79%

DMU: ~ 94% ( just do the math)

UHS: ~ 90%

NOVA: ~ 80%

of the people they interviewed.

something is really wrong here...these numbers look waayyy too high...and the # of applicants that they report seems wayyy too low... CCOM's website says there were 4000 applicants in 1998...how can that number drop down to 1387 in 2000?

anyone know anything about this?

thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded

Well, the numbers did drop a little between 1998 and 2000 but only about 7% each year. Having looked at these numbers for other schools (eg Tufts, Ritzker) that quote total applications and completed applications the USNews numbers seems to correlate to completed applications...so the answer is "yes" I think those acceptance %s of those interviewed are correct...puts more of a smile on your face, huh? ;)

onwis

4. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yes. Those numbers are correct. Why do you think differently? Remember that not everyone will complete all of their applications. Therefore, some of the figures that you see with "# of applications" may either include or not include completed applications. It's hard to tell which is which. But, know this. Once granted an interview, at many schools, your chances of acceptance go up dramatically. I know UHS and DMU are around 90% for sure and wouldn't doubt others being that high as well.

5. Mr. happy clown guy

Mr. happy clown guy Senior Member

I can tell you that I recieved acceptance to each school that I interviewed.

6. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason

Most schools do a "cut" after the secondaries are in... why should they waste their time interviewing people if the are not seriously interested in them as a candidate?

Also, schools play the numbers game. Many applicants will have multiple acceptances - therefore will choose their med school. Med schools have to compensate by offering more acceptances than slots (~30-40% over) to fill thier classes.

-A

7. Talus

Talus Junior Member

Mark Twain said there are 3 levels of falsehood:

1. Lies
    2. Damn Lies
    3. . . . and then there are Statistics!