Is this frowned upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurl21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If in an interview, they are impressed with your DAT scores and ask you how you prepared for it and you say you studied with Kaplan, do they look down on that? It could be a con because they could think that anyone who takes a test prep course has the potential to do well on the test, or it could be a pro because they could think you were willing to pay over a thousand dollars to do well on the DAT. What do you guys think based on past experience in interviews etc.?

Also, I am going to be teaching for Kaplan next semester. Should I mention this at all? Or, once again, does it look bad to dental schools.

Thanks for your opinions :)

Members don't see this ad.

You know, you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble if u'd just directed your Q's to your interviewer or someone in the admissions office. Of course you would phrase it differently. All you would get here are other people's opinions, NOT the school's opinion, which is what you want to know.

Yes, I agree 100%. This is not the place to get opinionated absolution.

Nevertheless, an opinion to consider:

For the record, there's nothing to be 'ashamed' of with the Kaplan class. I studied with plenty of people (agewise, ethnicwise, and classwise) who could "barely afford it." But, regardless of individual financial circumstances, everyone could "afford" the scope and quality of Kaplan's prep library as a practical matter. It gave me a way to network and form study groups with other students who had the same goals as me. Any school that deliberately derives a pressing political or stigmatized sociological issue out of this (as pertaining to one student relative to other(s)) would not be worth my time. I would answer the question as honestly and immediately as possible nonetheless and be done with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
legacy: I love your signature. Quite creative!

Gurl21 said:
If in an interview, they are impressed with your DAT scores and ask you how you prepared for it and you say you studied with Kaplan, do they look down on that? It could be a con because they could think that anyone who takes a test prep course has the potential to do well on the test, or it could be a pro because they could think you were willing to pay over a thousand dollars to do well on the DAT. What do you guys think based on past experience in interviews etc.?

Also, I am going to be teaching for Kaplan next semester. Should I mention this at all? Or, once again, does it look bad to dental schools.

No. I don't think so. You may be slightly neuortic over this? Do you find yourself thinking a lot? Hard to focus? And get distracted easily? If you do, then you are like me. =)

To be serious though, it may be worth asking why you would have these qualms. =)

Legacy said:
Yes, I agree 100%. This is not the place to get opinionated absolution.

Nevertheless, an opinion to consider:

For the record, there's nothing to be 'ashamed' of with the Kaplan class. I studied with plenty of people (agewise, ethnicwise, and classwise) who could "barely afford it." But, regardless of individual financial circumstances, everyone could "afford" the scope and quality of Kaplan's prep library as a practical matter. It gave me a way to network and form study groups with other students who had the same goals as me. Any school that deliberately derives a pressing political or stigmatized sociological issue out of this (as pertaining to one student relative to other(s)) would not be worth my time. I would answer the question as honestly and immediately as possible nonetheless and be done with it.

I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE! :love: :love:

Just a note: if they DID think it a pro, I don't think it would necessarily be beacuse you paid $1000 for it, but that you planned and took a more difficult road because the exam was so important to you.

And remember, if a question catches you off guard, or you're not exactly sure if your direct answer would be favorable, you can always push things to sell a strong point for yourself. Like if you don't feel comfortable simply saying that you took the course and therefore did better, you could talk about how you looked at several study books and didn't find them efficient, that you formed a real relationship with the other course-takers, that you're going to be a Kaplan tutor in the future, etc. I've had some questions that I didn't really like so I morphed them into something else ;) This is your time to shine!!

i'll take another step and say... i love ur signature aS WELL as your answer! ;) :laugh:

Gurl21 said:

I told them I used the Kaplan books to prepare for the DAT. Nothing wrong with that I think. They are just asking that question as an icebreaker. They just want to start a conversation. As long as you respond with an answer, I am sure it would be fine.
Good luck,
Rich

Gurl21 said:

I was asked this twice. Both times, the faculty member asking looked more impressed with my DAT scores when they found out Kaplan was not involved beyond the basic study guide. One interviewer asked how I studied and when I told him just from textbooks/study guides, he said "What? You didn't use the Kaplan class?" It seemed to be a pleasant surprise to him.

I think it is a plus if you kick butt on the DAT and haven't been coached. On the other hand, if your DAT was mediocre, then they might question why you weren't smart enough to get some help. I don't think that shelling out $1000 matters to the adcom because you are already paying much more for your college education.

Two schools asked me the same question. I told them that I used Kaplan materials. I am not worried about my answer because I told them the truth. If they want to reject me over this it's fine with me. I don't want to lie to get in.

dat_student said:
Two schools asked me the same question. I told them that I used Kaplan materials. I am not worried about my answer because I told them the truth. If they want to reject me over this it's fine with me. I don't want to lie to get in.
This is a refreshing attitude to see. :thumbup:

Gurl21 said:

i honestly don't think it's anything to be frowned upon. It doesn't mean you're paying them to get yourself good scores, you're just being "educated" to be well prepared for the test.

it's the same thing as why you're "paying" to go to undergrad...just tell them the truth in why you took the class, and since you're going to teach for Kaplan, tell them why...

on a side note, i didn't take kaplan, but i heard it was rather helpful, if i had the chance. =) Don't worry about your answers, just be honest, it makes things a lot easier.

pOiiMiiOq said:
i honestly don't think it's anything to be frowned upon. It doesn't mean you're paying them to get yourself good scores, you're just being "educated" to be well prepared for the test.

it's the same thing as why you're "paying" to go to undergrad...just tell them the truth in why you took the class, and since you're going to teach for Kaplan, tell them why...

on a side note, i didn't take kaplan, but i heard it was rather helpful, if i had the chance. =) Don't worry about your answers, just be honest, it makes things a lot easier.

i meant...i would have taken it "if i had the chance" heheh, missing a few words there. :laugh: