Is this going to affect my future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

portal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could advise me on my present situation. I am in the process of applying and am in a dilemma. :scared:

About a year ago I made a stupid mistake. I was with a friend and I’m not sure or have a hard time recalling the exact sequence of events, but one thing led to another and we ended up fighting :mad: . My friend and decided not to press charges however someone called the police and the incident ended up on my record. I wasn’t convicted of any crime yet I have to wait a year to get it off my record. I wondering is this going to effect my future.

If I apply and match will this issue come up (if my record hasn’t been cleared of the incident at the time I match). If so, should I wait out a year and reapply :thumbdown: . Or should I take a chance this year and basically tell my story and hope the pd / committees understand my situation :thumbup: .

Also if I apply this year and match, and am latter terminated would this jeapordise my chances for applying next year.

I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, advise :idea: :idea: .

Members don't see this ad.

Examples such as this come up every year, and the answer lies strictly with the wording of the ERAS application. If you have not been "convicted," i.e. found guilty of a crime, do not bring it up unless you are specifically asked if you have ever been "charged" with a crime. I believe the only question of relevance is whether there has been any prior conviction, which in your case is clearly NO.

You are being 100% trutfhul in making this statement and should put this behind you. It won't even be asked during your interview season unless you bring it up (which you shouldn't do). Wait for it to come off your record, and hold your head high - you are not guilty of anything. Good luck with your interviews.

Ninerniner999 thanks for your reply. :) Your comments are very much appreciated!

I made a stupid mistake and am wondering if this will affect my chances of entering a residency. I was just wondering what happens after I match (if I match) ... Do they conduct any type of formal investigations/checks on all incoming/new residents, and if so will this issue come up again. :scared:

Please reply, advise needed. :idea:

Like NN999 posted, if you were not convicted and you check "no convictions" you are not lying or being a fraud, so it cannot hurt you. If asked about charged, then be honest. But charge does NOT equal conviction.

thanks turtle :)

I'm just wondering if they can terminate my contract after the match, when they perform a background check :eek: (do all hospitals perform a check?) and somehow arrive at the conclusion that I am unemployable. or am I fretting too much over this. :eek:

Thanks for those soooooothing words. I'll take your advice and try to match. If the issue arises, I'll just be honest and decribe my particular predicament and hope that the pd/committee understands.

Any other insight, comments would be greatly appreciated before I take the plunge!

portal said:
thanks turtle :)

I'm just wondering if they can terminate my contract after the match, when they perform a background check :eek: (do all hospitals perform a check?) and somehow arrive at the conclusion that I am unemployable. or am I fretting too much over this. :eek:

Within a few years all medical schools, residencies and hospitals will be performing background checks. some attempts at setting national standards for the depth of the checks and thr rules for rejecting an applicant are being made.

However, i suspect that most decisions will be local and made to duplicate the standards that the hospitals use for their own employees. For now if you have no felony convictions and didn't lie on the eras app, i think you're safe.

BKN

portal said:
I was hoping someone could advise me on my present situation. I am in the process of applying and am in a dilemma. :scared:

About a year ago I made a stupid mistake. I was with a friend and I’m not sure or have a hard time recalling the exact sequence of events, but one thing led to another and we ended up fighting :mad: . My friend and decided not to press charges however someone called the police and the incident ended up on my record. I wasn’t convicted of any crime yet I have to wait a year to get it off my record. I wondering is this going to effect my future.

If I apply and match will this issue come up (if my record hasn’t been cleared of the incident at the time I match). If so, should I wait out a year and reapply :thumbdown: . Or should I take a chance this year and basically tell my story and hope the pd / committees understand my situation :thumbup: .

Also if I apply this year and match, and am latter terminated would this jeapordise my chances for applying next year.

I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, advise :idea: :idea: .

This is just a misdemeanor. As far as I know, they only ask about felonies. Your're safe. :cool:

Thanks for all the comments/insight. :oops:

BKN I was under the impression that most hospitals do conduct some type of pre-employment background check. Is this actually the case or am I mistaken.

At any rate if you were part of human resources or a PD and you selected a candidate who later turned out to have this on his record but was in the process of getting it expunged, how would you react to this case. That is would you overlook/give the person a second chance :love: , or would you just flat out terminate the potential resident :thumbdown: .

I guess what I'm trying to say is if they end up doing an check, would an explanation ease the situation.

portal said:
Thanks for all the comments/insight. :oops:

BKN I was under the impression that most hospitals do conduct some type of pre-employment background check. Is this actually the case or am I mistaken.

At any rate if you were part of human resources or a PD and you selected a candidate who later turned out to have this on his record but was in the process of getting it expunged, how would you react to this case. That is would you overlook/give the person a second chance :love: , or would you just flat out terminate the potential resident :thumbdown: .

I guess what I'm trying to say is if they end up doing an check, would an explanation ease the situation.

I PMed you.

toofache32 said:
So who won the fight? :eek:

I think we know who lost the most in the fight. I lost my dignity, my peace of mind, and possibly my chances of residency this year.

portal said:
I think we know who lost the most in the fight. I lost my dignity, my peace of mind, and possibly my chances of residency this year.

Portal, I highly doubt you lost your chances at residency. Explain the circumstances, explain that its gettin expunged and let that be that. THere is no way I can see a program matching you, then signing with you, and if you answer everything honestly (and they DONT ask about arrest) them saying, oh you have an arrest, forget it. Now, if they DO ASK - be honest, explain it. If they are that retentive that they can't see past it - you probably don't want to be there anyway :)

Just my advice! Good luck, and TRUST ME YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS ON RECORD!

Poety said:
TRUST ME YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS ON RECORD!

Makes me wonder what you did...

Me, just a little grand theft auto... Arrested! :thumbdown: Never convicted. :thumbup: (Actually falsely accused, never stole anything as big as a car :D )

turtle said:
Makes me wonder what you did...

Me, just a little grand theft auto... Arrested! :thumbdown: Never convicted. :thumbup: (Actually falsely accused, never stole anything as big as a car :D )

:laugh: I play grand theft auto - does that count?

This thread is lame. The guy doesn't even have a record. :rolleyes:

FYI - One thing to keep in mind is that being arrested is NOT the same as being charged. Police "book" people. DA's charge people. So, if you've been arrested but were then released without having charges filed, you essentially have no criminal record.

Thanks for all the replys! :) :)

Does anyone know what actually happens if one is matched and then for some reason their contract is terminated. Would that be considered being in a residency. The reason I ask is if my contract is terminated and I apply next year would other residencies know of this years match (because of medicare issues) or is this basically pre-employment paper work and your not offically considered a resident until you start your internship. I don't want to jeapordize my chances next year.

Does anybody have any knowledge on this subject. Pleeeaaasssee, your comments are valuable and have a bearing on my decision.

portal said:
Thanks for all the replys! :) :)

Does anyone know what actually happens if one is matched and then for some reason their contract is terminated. Would that be considered being in a residency. The reason I ask is if my contract is terminated and I apply next year would other residencies know of this years match (because of medicare issues) or is this basically pre-employment paper work and your not offically considered a resident until you start your internship. I don't want to jeapordize my chances next year.

Does anybody have any knowledge on this subject. Pleeeaaasssee, your comments are valuable and have a bearing on my decision.

Portal hon, you are worrying WAYYYY too much :oops: , just relax I am SURE you'll be fine - honestly. :thumbup: You were not convicted :thumbup: so even if it came up on a background check as an arrest - you were not charged right? So this is what will come up (or something like it) on Dec 12, 2004 so and so was arrested for simple assault - dismissed without prejudice. :thumbup: You haven't lied about anything, they aren't even going to ask you about it, and if they do, be honest - but please, stop worrying!

Poety said:
Portal hon, you are worrying WAYYYY too much :oops: , just relax I am SURE you'll be fine - honestly. :thumbup: You were not convicted :thumbup: so even if it came up on a background check as an arrest - you were not charged right? So this is what will come up (or something like it) on Dec 12, 2004 so and so was arrested for simple assault - dismissed without prejudice. :thumbup: You haven't lied about anything, they aren't even going to ask you about it, and if they do, be honest - but please, stop worrying!

Poety

Thank you!