Is This Just the First Wave?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chihiro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been here across multiple application cycles: will there soon be another "wave" of SDNers who:

* Are applying later in the cycle & closer to deadlines, and
* Aren't "ideal" applicants (have lower DATs and GPAs than now seem to be the norm)?

Plz tell me the peeps coming thru here are just the first wave, the overachievers, and that peeps with lower stats will generally come along later?

Or is this just a killer application cycle for dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't correlate this years applicant pool based purely on what u see here. Keep in mind..most ppl with sketchy gpa's and dat scores won't be as eager to post their failures online and throw themselves upon the mercy of this board. ppl with sick grades usually have no problem boasting about their accomplishments..so ur definitely more inclined to see brainiacs posting their stats than umbdays.

pbure said:
I wouldn't correlate this years applicant pool based purely on what u see here. Keep in mind..most ppl with sketchy gpa's and dat scores won't be as eager to post their failures online and throw themselves upon the mercy of this board. ppl with sick grades usually have no problem boasting about their accomplishments..so ur definitely more inclined to see brainiacs posting their stats than umbdays.

Agreed. You must also realize that the overachievers who even know about these boards are the ones that are most likely to have the highest stats. I wouldn't worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
edkNARF said:
Agreed. You must also realize that the overachievers who even know about these boards are the ones that are most likely to have the highest stats. I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't be worried about over-achiever's. I would consider myself one and I only applied to my choice school last year and wasn't accepted. Talk about humbling. So don't worry if your application isn't all flashy and you don't look good on paper. Cleary if you get an interview that is your time to shine, because take it from me, they won't just pick you if everything on the app is way above their standards.

It makes sense that people who take their careers, grades, and DAT scores very seriously are going to spend more time here (then again, you could argue against that since I personally waste a colossal amount of time here!). For me it took a google search to find this place, and I even lurked for a little while before posting. Probably wouldn't have posted my stats if they were average. It's easy for me to post my DAT scores because I know they're good, but I would hesitate if they were lower than most everyone on here. That's why I totally respect people who post their scores in the DAT forum and ask for suggestions for improvement.

SDN definitely doesn't represent the norm! Although average stats are almost certainly rising, SDN could be considered a veritable genetic freakshow if you took the average of everyone's posted stats.

Typo why wouldn't you post your stats if they were just average? who cares? it's not like anyone knows who you are on SDN? This is a site to help applicants and you should post your stats whatever they are to help others learn from your mistakes or accomplishments.

Dentist 2 be said:
Typo why wouldn't you post your stats if they were just average? who cares? it's not like anyone knows who you are on SDN? This is a site to help applicants and you should post your stats whatever they are to help others learn from your mistakes or accomplishments.
Good question! The answer is that I've gotten involved with these forums enough to meet people in person - I just met 3 SDNers on Tuesday at Maryland, for example. It becomes a little more difficult to share your stats when you aren't anonymous. For me, it's easy to say, "Look at my DAT scores!" and try to avoid mentioning my GPA, even though it is somewhat average/competitive. Call it the evolutionary desire to compete, but it isn't always easy to admit that other people are better than you or have outcompeted you. :)

To the OP:

Everyone has something they feel insecure about. Maybe those people with crazy stats don't communicate as well as you do, or maybe they work a calculator better than a drill. I'm a chemistry major and have been doing relatively well, but I'm finding this semester that I am an utter ****** when it comes to my analytical chemistry class.

Don't sweat your weaknesses, just think about your strengths. :thumbup:

i have to rant a little bit right now, ignore this if you are not one of these people. now. how come people always assume that people with good grades are "overachievers", "don't communicate well", and are always just "boasting" when they say their stats? just cause someone spends more time studying than partying and gets sweet grades, doesn't mean they aren't cool or fun to hang out with or still make time for socializing and other things. i guess people with good grades should not say them to people or post them on boards, or be proud of their accomplishments at all, because people with not as good grades always get super defensive and immediately make themself feel better by saying mean things about the person with good grades. alright... i am done :)

I know that very few will want to hear this, but applicants DO seem to be much stronger this year than ever before, at least at my school.

All of the interviews I've done have been 3.7+ and the lowest DAT I've seen is a 20.

Of course that doesn't mean that there aren't applicants with lower marks, but OVERALL the marks are greatly improved from applicants last year. So much so that it is a noticeable difference, in my mind.

well thanks alot gavin that makes me feel much better :( more to worry about...

Biogirl361 said:
i have to rant a little bit right now, ignore this if you are not one of these people. now. how come people always assume that people with good grades are "overachievers", "don't communicate well", and are always just "boasting" when they say their stats? just cause someone spends more time studying than partying and gets sweet grades, doesn't mean they aren't cool or fun to hang out with or still make time for socializing and other things. i guess people with good grades should not say them to people or post them on boards, or be proud of their accomplishments at all, because people with not as good grades always get super defensive and immediately make themself feel better by saying mean things about the person with good grades. alright... i am done :)

Yah! I agree.

As anyone who has been on this board for a while knows, Gavin obviously knows what he's talking about, but maybe since Arizona is a fairly new school that they are trying to find thier place in this rat race. I think they may be trying to slowly improve the scores that they are willing to accept. Who knows, could they become "ivy league"? If so good for them. However, don't look at this as representative of all schools. Just a little encouragement, but don't take it from me, this is simply speculation.

Nearly everybody here will find a seat in dental school, I'm sure of that.

My point wasn't to get anybody down, but just to make note that indeed dental school is becoming a more coveted place to be. I'm sure many of us have noticed more and more interest from our friends in regards to dental school admissions. It seems it is becoming a popular choice among pre-health students. And as the number of applicants rises, the quality of those applicants would be expected to rise as well (although not necessarily at the same rate as the number of applicants).

2thDk said:
I think they may be trying to slowly improve the scores that they are willing to accept.

I'm sure my school is doing this, but I'm also sure that nearly every other school is also doing this simply because of the greater interest in dentistry each application cycle.

If there are only 4,000 applicants to schools, then you can't be too picky if you want to fill classes. Double that and you can be a bit more picky than you were previously. It's the admissions game of supply and demand. :)

2thDk said:
As anyone who has been on this board for a while knows, Gavin obviously knows what he's talking about...

Agreed. Gav isn't trying to scare you guys/gals, he is just giving it to you straight-up without the sugar coating. With dental school being one of the hottest graduate schools to apply to, expect the average GPAs/DATs to continue to rise until they top off.... and don't expect that anytime soon. In my opinion, if you are ready to apply, do it now while you still have a chance; the game don't wait.