is this legit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PostCall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i recently learned one of the residents in a very competetive residency is doing his residency for free. apparently he's independently wealthy and told the residency he'd work for free since he can support himself. so the residency gets an extra resident to work for free, and he gets to do a very competetive residency he must have not been able to get otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it an ACGME accredited residency? If so, I thought that if a residency was ACGME accredited, it could not do that, i.e., have people work for free.

i recently learned one of the residents in a very competetive residency is doing his residency for free. apparently he's independently wealthy and told the residency he'd work for free since he can support himself. so the residency gets an extra resident to work for free, and he gets to do a very competetive residency he must have not been able to get otherwise.

No this is not allowed for accredited ACGME residencies.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=471972&highlight=unpaid

It is still allowed in osteopathic residencies:
examples:
http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...program_id=126042&hosp_id=118492&returnPage=1
http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...program_id=163919&hosp_id=119361&returnPage=1

There was an episode of ER about this in which Dr. Carter signed over his paychecks to the hospital.

Yeah I remember that. exPCM is right though, this is forbidden. The reason is that otherwise rich kids would get all the choice residencies because, frankly, a hospital would be happy to pocket another $40k per resident plus get the cheap labor, rather than have to pay out that money for a poorer one. There was a fiasco a couple of years ago at one of the California programs where a wealthy family "created" a funded radiology position for a family member, which was discussed ad nauseum on this board, and at it's heart is really the same kind of thing. Programs try to steer clear of such impropriety.

How exactly did he do that? Did he pay them or it is actually free? I want to do that if it is free!! seriously! i need a residency position...bad. Let me know how!!!
Which hospital is this?

How exactly did he do that? Did he pay them or it is actually free? I want to do that if it is free!! seriously! i need a residency position...bad. Let me know how!!!
Which hospital is this?

Be careful.

First, since its not allowed by ACGME, you'd be looking at either:

1) a program who is breaking the regulations and could be shut down
2) an osteopathic program
3) a military program

You are not, AFAIK, eligible for the latter two. ACGME residencies cannot just add extra residents, even if it means the resident is not taking a salary. Doing a non-accredited ACGME residency generally means you are not board eligible and may not be eligible for many employment positions, hospital privileges, insurance plans, etc.

So IMHO this story is only of interest to you as a DO or military resident since it unlikely that this is an ACGME program breaking the rules.