is this moonlighting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine teaches online classes to PAs and NPs. Do you think that this would be considered moonlighting at a program where moonlighting is not allowed?

In general, how does that moonlighting thing work. If they say no moonlighting, is it don't ask, don't tell or are you out of the program if you get caught moonlighting?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought moonlighting only included jobs with direct patient care? I'm not sure though. So in other words, you can bartend or work at the mall, but you can't work at an urgent care? I too am curious about this, as my program forbids moonlighting next year.

Moonlighting is direct patient care. It counts towards your 80 hour work week and this is why places FORBID it. Your program director is still reasonsible for all of your hour violations even if you moonlight somewhere else.

Imagine if, God forbid, someone moonlighting violates the work hour restrictions and then gets into an accident, or has a bad outcome with a patient while moonlighting...

Well if they were hiding it from the program, any lawyer is going after that little fact in the law suit. Additionally, your program will not cover you for malpractice if they forbid it. How are you going to come up with that cash? Work well in excess of 80 hours to make the cash? Any lawyer these days goes right to the work hour logs when a resident is involved in anything... and if you are hiding the fact that you moonlight to avoid reporting it in your work hours - GAME OVER - DECISION IN FAVOR OF PLANTIFF rightly so I might add.