Moonlighting as an attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY172

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Hoping people can provide some data on moonlighting rates for attendings in the northeast. Ideally, anecdotal data on hospital-employed anesthesiologists who pick up extra shifts during month, etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Several factors at play. Are you near a major city? Are you carrying your own malpractice? Capable of doing hearts? Taking overnight call?

I practice in New England. I’ve seen/heard of anywhere from $150-$300/hr for hourly locums work. If you have your own malpractice insurance, can do the credentialing yourself, don’t need meals/lodging/etc you should be able to get more hourly.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you getting now? Your own hospital right?
I would say nothing less than $200/hr. Also depends on what you’re doing..... supervising ratio? Are you guaranteed certain hour?

It’s a weird number, since regular locum probably starts there. But I figure, if you or some employee don’t pick up extra shifts, they (hospital) would need to hire someone for at least 300/hr to the locum company.....

it’s a “straight forward” answer.

Several factors at play. Are you near a major city? Are you carrying your own malpractice? Capable of doing hearts? Taking overnight call?

I practice in New England. I’ve seen/heard of anywhere from $150-$300/hr for hourly locums work. If you have your own malpractice insurance, can do the credentialing yourself, don’t need meals/lodging/etc you should be able to get more hourly.
Ugh don’t even think CRNA’s would work for 150/hr!!! Have heard of RNs doing better during covid!!

Ugh don’t even think CRNA’s would work for 150/hr!!! Have heard of RNs doing better during covid!!

These RNs are in the ICU and taking care of covid patients. So literally being exposed to covid constantly. In the middle of a pandemic where there is a critical shortage of such nurses. I think that commands a premium in compensation

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hello, Hoping people can provide some data on moonlighting rates for attendings in the northeast. Ideally, anecdotal data on hospital-employed anesthesiologists who pick up extra shifts during month, etc. Thanks!

isnt this pretty early for you? arent you like a 1st year resident or something?

market is constantly changing, especially with the current political climate and covid going on..

just know that in major city in north east, pay is bad. you'll probably regret going to anesthesiology. its bit better if you move outside of major city.

Reactions: 2 users