Is this normal? (giant baby)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jacobsen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Pediatric doctors and residents

A baby that is 6 months old and weighs 12 kilograms (he was 8-9kg at 5 months). He is seemingly normal in neurological development and doesnt seem to have any problems except for sleep apnea. The parents were concerned that he might have hypothyroidism and brought the child to a pediatric doctor who said that these weight variations are completely normal and that he is just the 1-2% and they werent given any follow up appointment. The mother concerned about the babys weight and has been intentionally trying to give him less kcals in effort to make him lose weight. In physical appearance the child is extremely adipose (i havent seen anything like it) and when I listened to the heart it almost sounded like he had a PDA.

I told them they should get another appointment with the pediatricians, was I correct or what is your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Pediatric doctors and residents

A baby that is 6 months old and weighs 12 kilograms (he was 8-9kg at 5 months). He is seemingly normal in neurological development and doesnt seem to have any problems except for sleep apnea. The parents were concerned that he might have hypothyroidism and brought the child to a pediatric doctor who said that these weight variations are completely normal and that he is just the 1-2% and they werent given any follow up appointment. The mother concerned about the babys weight and has been intentionally trying to give him less kcals in effort to make him lose weight. In physical appearance the child is extremely adipose (i havent seen anything like it) and when I listened to the heart it almost sounded like he had a PDA.

I told them they should get another appointment with the pediatricians, was I correct or what is your opinion?
12 kg at 6 months is way above of >98%, so no, it's not normal.

"Sleep apnea" whatever that means in a 6 month old infant is not normal or safe. This child needs a comprehensive evaluation wherever this can best be done. This is unlikely to be primarily diet related, although it would have been nice to have a bit more information related to diet (breast of formula fed, if formula fed how much, etc) as well as his length and head circumference to assess his growth pattern.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, he needs to see a pediatrician. There are so many clarifying questions I would have like- birth weight, other growth parameters, pregnancy and birth complications, did Mom have Diabetes?

This could be completely within the normal spectrum or he could fall within the spectrum of Beckwith Weidmann syndrome (I've see big babies with OSA that had BWS) and thus would need tumor monitoring.

The childs length is like 66-70cm, I dont know the head circumference (but it looks physiological or at least proportional), pregnancy was uncomplicated, C section and I dont think mommy has diabetes (he was also normal at birth) - Thank you for your advices, I will post here when I get to know the diagnosis