Is This Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to take all your pre requisites courses at a junior college and then apply to dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

The truth is that to be competitive, you should take all prerequisites at a 4-year college or university. A junior college will generally not make you competitive enough considering the vast majority will be coming from 4-year institutions.

maverick88 said:
Is it possible to take all your pre requisites courses at a junior college and then apply to dental school?

Worth it if this is going to save you lots of money on tuition and make sure you're going to get the DAT nailed to prove your academic caliber!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone I understand that it would be better to go to a 4 year university that I know without a doubt but, if it is possible to go to dental school after community college (2 years) then i would rather go that route. If I were to get great grades(3.5-4.0) at a community college and then pass the DAT with flying colors wouldn't that be enought or would me going to community college really handicap me?

I went to a community college for two years and took my basics, but saved all the prereqs for my university. Most schools do emphasize taking the prereqs at a 4-year university.....

I took my prereqs at a Juco for 1/3rd of the price.

I don't know if I would recommend it. The teaching there is so inferior that I only made a 22 on the DAT when several posters on this site made 24s and 25s.

I'll let you know how it worked out in December.

aggie-master said:
I took my prereqs at a Juco for 1/3rd of the price.

I don't know if I would recommend it. The teaching there is so inferior that I only made a 22 on the DAT when several posters on this site made 24s and 25s.

I'll let you know how it worked out in December.
Hey, my Junior College education was pretty substandard too! :laugh:

So far i have took all my basics at a Jr. College (English,psych.,some math, communications..etc.) But all my Science classes are going to be took at a University.....Just to play it safe i guess. And im saving boo-koos by switching out that way.....Take your sciences at a 4 yr. university. :cool:

armorshell said:
Hey, my Junior College education was pretty substandard too! :laugh:

we can tell.

I took all of my pre-reqs at a Junior College, then when I transfered to a University I took a bunch of upper division chem classes. Too tell you the truth the classes at my Junior College were a lot harder than the ones at my University, everyone I went to the JC with that transfered said the same thing, and they all transfered to different universities (Davis, Berkeley, San Diego, Cal Poly), so I think some community colleges are great and others are well not up to par, so most dental/med schools perfer to not accept classes from them. But who knows I'll find out soon enough if they like what they see.

Hey Mav... One thing that wasn't addressed is the fact that it sounds like you want to apply without getting your bachelor's degree. If that is the case, then you should know that you're already at a disadvantage as it is, as most dental schools prefer students who have their 4-year degree. That said, you doing your pre-reqs at a JuCo will be even more of a handicap... That's not to say it's impossible, but it definitely won't help you any. You could, however, make a great case for yourself if you do well on the DATs. I'd say call the individual schools you're looking into and find out their policy. I know some schools want all the pre-reqs done at a 4 year institution and some also require a bachelor's degree... they're all different. Call your top choices and see what their reqs are... it's the only way you'll know for sure.

yea i did figure out that most schools do want bachelors degrees especially the ones im interested in like USC and UCLA. What I now wanted to know was if it would be smart to take some if any of the pre reqs at a CC and then taking higher levels of science at a 4 year university. I know that it does not really matter what you major in but would majoring in bio or chem make it easier

English is not my first language. Can I take my english composition courses in JC or abroad? I'm still a sophmore and not planning to take DAT soon. Could you guys some suggestions of how to improve reading session in DAT? I know to read books and journals in general. But do you know anything specifically? Thx!

maverick88 said:
yea i did figure out that most schools do want bachelors degrees especially the ones im interested in like USC and UCLA. What I now wanted to know was if it would be smart to take some if any of the pre reqs at a CC and then taking higher levels of science at a 4 year university. I know that it does not really matter what you major in but would majoring in bio or chem make it easier

It would make it easier to major in bio or chem in the sense that your major would pretty much cover your pre-reqs, but it might lower you GPA a bit since liberal arts classes easier...haha

Sephisabin said:
It would make it easier to major in bio or chem in the sense that your major would pretty much cover your pre-reqs, but it might lower you GPA a bit since liberal arts classes easier...haha

Yes this is exactly what I was getting to Majoring in bio might be harder but by doing this would it free me from worrying about my pre-reqs and other types of science classes because it would already be in the curriculum?