1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is This Temple Interview Feedback Real?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by SuperTrooper, Nov 18, 2005.

1. SuperTrooper

SuperTrooper Membership Revoked
    Removed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. v&andy_yankee

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    if that IS real, than the kid is a dipsh!t. you just don't sit on public toilet seats. i think the person is bs-ing, cuz i think it's pretty hard to actually catch STDs from toilet seat. unless if you sat on top of gonorreah juice which was sprayed all over the seat, i don't see how it can really be transmitted.

3. darius99

darius99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    ahaha i think we have a serious Temple-hater :laugh:

4. tinman831

tinman831 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Administrator Dentist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dentist

reminds me of that one episode on seinfeld where that lady said her boyfriend told her she got gonorrhea from a tractor :laugh:

5. SuperTrooper

Removed

I dunno. I recommend that we all assume that this is legit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. konovsi

konovsi Member
    5+ Year Member

This person should of done some research on his problem, herpes can only be transmitted from direct contact with an infected person.

7. darius99

darius99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    so should i discuss gonorreah juice as a serious public health problem when i'm at my interviews? :p

8. duh?

duh? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    LOL! gonorrhea juice! :laugh: But what person in their right mind would place their behind on a PUBLIC TOILET! Eeeeeeew!

9. Dr.BadVibes

Dr.BadVibes Membership Revoked
    Removed

So its very obvious that this person is a ******.....he cant even spell "weakness"

anyways....despite their idiocy, they do make a valid point. Things here at TEmple are very independent......

Personally thats the way I like it. I am a very independent person and I dont like to be pampered at all. If I need help, I can definitely ask someone and someone is always there to help me with my problems.....however, no one holds your hand here.

When you enter the clinical years, you are basically running your own mini-practice for two years, and Brian will even tell you this during the interview. You get a list of patients, and its your job to call them, reserve chairs, get them to come in, devise payment plans, etc.

This is very beneficial....why? Cause when you graduate, guess what! YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN! You dont have the school to fall back on.

FOr me this is a plus. For you it may not be. If you want your hand held dont come to Temple.

10. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Genital herpes is an infection caused by the herpes simplex virus or HSV. There are two types of HSV (type 1 and type 2), and both can cause genital herpes.

How does someone get genital herpes?
    #1)
    People often get genital herpes by having sexual contact with others who don’t know they are infected, who know they are infected but are not taking medication to prevent outbreaks, or who are having outbreaks of herpes without any sores.

#2)
    The virus is spread only rarely, if at all, by touching objects such as a toilet seat or hot tub.

NOTE: According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 45 million people in the United States ages 12 and older, or 1 out of 5 of the total adolescent and adult population, are infected with HSV-2.

Reference:
    http://www.globalhealthorg.org/FactSheets/HERPES.htm
    Global Health Organization
    153 east avenue, suite 32 • norwalk, ct • 06851
    Phone: (203)852-9525 • Fax: (203)854-0371

11. hairybagel

hairybagel Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    First of all as always dat_student has too much time on her hands. Secondly "I want you to know that I have my father's handgun and a scortching case of herpes." (You are one of the coolest people on earth if you know where I got that quote from).

12. donkeywhisperer

donkeywhisperer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ferris Bueller you're my hero!
    I am the sausage king of chicago!

13. Rezdawg

Rezdawg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Bueller.

14. Rezdawg

Rezdawg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Crap, I didnt bother to scroll down after I saw the quote...didnt see you beat me to it.

15. I'mFillingFine

I'mFillingFine Pulptastic
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey, speak for yourself! I not only sit on them, but I usually give them a good luck lick and take a picture of each one for my "toy toy wall of fame".

No, but seriously; it's almost always fine to sit down since microbes have such a short life span without heat and water. If in doubt, wipe down the seat or line it with toilet paper!

And, I think I posted this somewhere else but I forgot where (new user :rolleyes: ) but can we get a word out for everyone to please add some new interview feedback? It's a wonderful resource that I'm sure many of us used to get some preparation, and it really helps you reflect on your own experiences and prioritize your schools. And there are so few from 2005. Thanks everyone!! :)

16. SuperTrooper

Removed

yes... that there's a good chance you'll get genital herpes if you come to Temple.

I wouldn't ignore this interview feedback. Perhaps it may be the most honest interview feedbacks ever. If the person is honest about contracting genital herpes then they're probably really honest about the school.

As a point of interest, I remember when I interviewed at Temple that one of my fellow interviewees told me that the dean of temple isn't a dentist (dds,dmd). I just checked this and it is true. I wonder if there is any other dental school in the US that doesn't have a dentist as it's dean? Anybody know?

17. TimR

TimR Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

uop has a plumber.

18. hairybagel

hairybagel Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    donkey I knew you would get it. Rez you're awesome. Rock on!

19. donkeywhisperer

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ok couple of things, I didn't read through this post as thoroughly as I should have before posting.

Number 1
    Gonorrhea Juice? vandy_yankey I'm a little confused. I mean, to get orange juice you juice an orange, to get lemon juice you juice a lemon. What in the world do you juice to...... awe never mind.

Number 2
    dat_student, you know way to much about genital herpes. It sounded like you've had to explain this subject before, maybe to a girlfriend or roommates. Just remember, just because you haven't had a breakout in over a year, it doesn't mean the herpes are gone. ;)

Number 3
    Hairybagel who ever said dat_student was a girl? I had just always assumed he was a dude. Do you have evidence to the contrary?
    Incidentally, anyone who can quote Ferris Bueller gains lbs of respect in my book. Now do you know where this is from?
    "We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sun glasses." "Hit it!"

Number 4
    I'mfillingfine I don't care what you have learned in Microbio class, unless I can spray down a public toilet seat with bleach and turpentine I'm using the hover approach, and you're not gonna convince me to do other wise so don't try.

20. I'mFillingFine

I'mFillingFine Pulptastic
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    There seems to be a general trend at getting businessmen/women in admissions departments...perhaps they think it will add a more unbiased view and promote better organization. Who knows? I'm not sure about deans, but many schools (I can only think of Harvard and Tufts for now, but there are others) have directors of admission or other major positions held by non-dentists.

That was one of my frustrations at the Tufts interview....all the lectures and tours were given by admissions staff, and many were new and didn't know the school, dentistry, or science in general. In fact, one of them said loudly during the tour, "Oh no, thank goodness I'm not associated with medicine or dentistry. I'd hate it!" eesh! So it was hard to get a good idea of what the school would actually be like...

And donkeywhisperer, I fully applaud your precautions :) You can never be too careful!

21. SuperTrooper

Removed

I'm not talking about the dean of admissions, I'm talking about the #1 guy, the dean of the dental school. Temple's dean is a Ph.D. and doesn't have a dental degree. Check out the signature of the guy here: http://www.temple.edu/dentistry/about/message.htm. PhD. I wonder how the hell this guy is supposed to make decisions about the whole dental school considering he has absolutely no idea what it means to be a clinician, or any sort of a health care professional.

22. billermo

billermo Member
    5+ Year Member

Wow, what's with all the Temple Bashing?? Obviously you have no idea how corporate America works. Do you think that every CEO is an expert in every department of the company?? No, they know how to lead, how to surround themselves by the best Presidents, Vice Presidents, Directors, etc. to make informed business decisions. Even though the Dean is not a clinician, I'm sure sound decisions are being made at Temple. After all, Dental School is a business.

23. Rezdawg

Rezdawg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    You forgot the 106 miles to Chicago.

24. donkeywhisperer

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Damn your good!

25. SuperTrooper

Removed

Yeah, i never thought about it that way. Maybe you're correct. Oh, but wait, Temple's dean doesn't have an MBA or any business experience like CEOs do. He has a PhD in biochemistry or something. So, based on your argument, he's useless. :laugh:

Dude, business is important in any dental school, but it's first and foremost an academic environment. Don't cheapen it.