Is this Trend in GPA Going to be a Red Flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freneticFil

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Current junior, planning to apply MD with a gap year. My GPA is like this for the years:

Freshmen: 3.95
Sophomore: 3.84
Junior: ~ high 3.6 to mid-3.7

cGPA: 3.84-3.85
sGPA: 3.78-3.81

Just curious if this is a downward trend worth sweating over. The junior year GPA is lower because there is one class per semester that keeps bringing me down. Semester 1, it was analytical chemistry with a B. This semester, probably biochem with a B. The rest of the courses (including physics, psychology, economic statistics, and upper-level chemistry should all be A or A-).

Aiming for top-tier meds, with good research experience. I understand no MCAT presently, but please let me know on the GPA trend.

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of Bs in upper level courses in a person who is otherwise performing at the A-/A level is not going to give anyone pause. You'll also have senior year grades. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: 2 users
A couple of Bs in upper level courses in a person who is otherwise performing at the A-/A level is not going to give anyone pause. You'll also have senior year grades. Don't worry about it.
Ok Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Current junior, planning to apply MD with a gap year. My GPA is like this for the years:

Freshmen: 3.95
Sophomore: 3.84
Junior: ~ high 3.6 to mid-3.7

cGPA: 3.84-3.85
sGPA: 3.78-3.81

Just curious if this is a downward trend worth sweating over. The junior year GPA is lower because there is one class per semester that keeps bringing me down. Semester 1, it was analytical chemistry with a B. This semester, probably biochem with a B. The rest of the courses (including physics, psychology, economic statistics, and upper-level chemistry should all be A or A-).

Aiming for top-tier meds, with good research experience. I understand no MCAT presently, but please let me know on the GPA trend.
Nope. Quit fussing.

At worst you'll be treated like a 3.7, and that's assuming you wind up with a 3.7 senior year as well. As it is? Don't sweat it, do well senior year. 520+ makes you competitive for top-20 schools with good ECs.