Is this typical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaBeMD89

Starting Over...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so a little background info first.
I'm a transfer student from a community college who is currently in an LVN program. I did this because I wanted to be able to get my foot in the door and be able to work in a hospital and gain plenty of clinical experience while attending college for my bach of science in biochemistry/pre-med. Anyway, I just got advised for the fall semester and the pre-professional advisor signed me up for some classes. Here is what my schedule looks like:

Monday
Calculus & Analytical Geometry I 905-955
General Bio Lecture 1115-1205

Tuesday
Chem Lab 800-1045
General Chem I 11-1215
English Comp 1230-145

Wednesday
Calc 905-955
Bio Lecture 1115-1205

Thursday
Calc 800-850
Bio Lab 900-1050
Chem Lecture 1100-1215
Engl 1230-145

Friday
Calc 905-955
Bio Lecture 1115-1205

So my overall question is, is this typical for a semester and do you think that this will be too much for me to handle? I mean, i work really well under stress and am pretty "go at it" when it comes to school and studying, but you have to keep in mind that all my classes have to be scheduled before 2pm because i will be most likely working mon-fri 2-10pm as a nurse until i can get me a weekend position.

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on who you are, so only you will know. I have taken 22 hours a semester 15 sci 3 honor cal 3 engl (my second lang) 1 violin for fun. I got all A's that semester. I also know people who can only take 14 hours but they get straight A's as well. So only you will know.

Oh btw all this is incredibly dependent on your professors. This semester I have 16 hour and I spend more time studying physiology lab (1 hour class) than all the other 15 hours combined....god I fk hate that class......but I just dont want to ruin a 4.0 with a one hour class.....grr

My advice use pick a prof and see how many class you want to take. And pay attenion in class will help you get good grade, and prepare for MCAT...

That seems like a lot, but I don't konw what an LVN program is...

If you will be working outside of school (especially 2-10 pm mon-fri) this is simply too much work, when will you study/sleep?

LVN is the same as LPN, licensed practical nurse... Also the monday-friday 2-10 will only be temporary until I can get a weekend only job from 6am-10pm. plus on top of all this, i will be having to take my state boards for nursing at the beginning of the semester, so that means i will be studying for that as well. lol. i guess i have some work cut out for me!!

Last edited: