Is this unethical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ls2412

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was telling a pre-med adviser about what I do as a volunteer at hospice while working on my personal statement, and she told me what I was doing was unethical. The part she had a problem with was me helping the CNAs with things like baths (I might wash a patients hand, or help rotate them while they clean, but nothing major), feed patients, or help reposition patients. However, I did receive about 25 hours of training and learned specifically how to do all of these things.

I don't think she understood the extent of my training, but if this is actually unethical because I'm not technically certified with anything I don't want to mention it in interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was telling a pre-med adviser about what I do as a volunteer at hospice while working on my personal statement, and she told me what I was doing was unethical. The part she had a problem with was me helping the CNAs with things like baths (I might wash a patients hand, or help rotate them while they clean, but nothing major), feed patients, or help reposition patients. However, I did receive about 25 hours of training and learned specifically how to do all of these things.

I don't think she understood the extent of my training, but if this is actually unethical because I'm not technically certified with anything I don't want to mention it in interviews.

No.

Your advisor is a *****.

Reactions: 18 users
That's what I was thinking....

Members don't see this ad :)
No.

Your advisor is a *****.

WHAT? An advisor who doesn't know what they are talking about? You must be pulling my leg. ;) An advisor of mine once told me public schools don't favor in-state students.

Reactions: 6 users

Ethics doesn't even factor into this equation.

I wonder if I could get a job as a pre-med advisor during my upcoming gap year. Compared to most, I'd do twice as well by trying half as hard.

Reactions: 3 users

I wonder if I could get a job as a pre-med advisor during my upcoming gap year. Compared to most, I'd do twice as well by trying half as hard.

I already consider being a premed advisor my pro-bono summer job.

Reactions: 8 users

Mine was a history PhD or something so you probably already know more than her about the premed process

Reactions: 3 users
I already consider being a premed advisor my pro-bono summer job.
"I show altruism and community service by being an active and helpful contributor to Student Doctor Network."

Reactions: 6 users
It would be illegal had you not received training for that but it's a far cry from being unethical. Big difference between the two and apparently your premed adviser doesn't know it

SDN > premed advising. Thanks guys!

Passing herself off as a pre-med advisor may be the only unethical thing going on here.

19598.jpg

Ah, Wedge beat me to it, but ADAM is awesome for visual images :naughty:

Reactions: 1 user
Yet more evidence that pre-med advisors have the brains of a flea.

I think that this is my wise colleague's greatest post ever!!!
:clap:

Passing herself off as a pre-med advisor may be the only unethical thing going on here.

Reactions: 1 user