Is this weird?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

def1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I've already been accepted into medical school, but I still was never satisfied with my MCAT score. It was <30. Obviously I'm not going to retake it since I already have my acceptance, but I was thinking of doing some more practice tests just to prove to myself I can break a high 30 score.

Obviously most people would never want to see the MCAT again if they didn't need to, but I just can't let that score out of my mind. On my previous practice tests I was consistently getting 30's or slightly higher, and even then I wasn't satisfied with those results.

Do you think its really weird for me to want to take a few more practice exams to prove I am capable of a really high MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok guys, I've already been accepted into medical school, but I still was never satisfied with my MCAT score. It was >30. Obviously I'm not going to retake it since I already have my acceptance, but I was thinking of doing some more practice tests just to prove to myself I can break a high 30 score.

Obviously most people would never want to see the MCAT again if they didn't need to, but I just can't let that score out of my mind. On my previous practice tests I was consistently getting 30's or slightly higher, and even then I wasn't satisfied with those results.

Do you think its really weird for me to want to take a few more practice exams to prove I am capable of a really high MCAT score?

Yes, you've been accepted. Your MCAT will never matter again.

Members don't see this ad :)
3cd8a33a.png

I actually feel pity for you.

Ok guys, I've already been accepted into medical school, but I still was never satisfied with my MCAT score. It was >30. Obviously I'm not going to retake it since I already have my acceptance, but I was thinking of doing some more practice tests just to prove to myself I can break a high 30 score.

Yes. There are more useful things to do with your time. If you're going obsess this much about all your tests in medical school you will find yourself extremely stressed out and frazzled in a couple months of school.

I never found the practice tests too accurate anyways. I was scoring low to mid 20's on the one's I took. It was discouraging me so I stopped taking them. On the actual test I got a 34.

Lol op

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

My kindergarten teacher didn't write "AMAZING" on my fingerpainting. Instead, the teacher only wrote "Good"

Jokes aside, I wouldn't really worry about that anymore. The MCAT isn't like an all around intelligence test that can tell me that life is going to go amazingly well for you and that you are going to become richer than Bill Gates if you get a 40 over a 30 on it.

Go take a practice USMLE step 1 test, instead. It's a humbling experience.

Jokes aside, I almost did something similar.:oops: I was really bored recently and considered taking the verbal section of my last remaining practice MCAT. I bombed the real deal after doing a ton of prep and wanted to see if I could randomly beat my score with no studying. I came to my senses though.

Aw, OP. It's okay. I know what you mean, but don't retake MCAT practice tests. If you really need to prove something to yourself regarding standardized tests, do it for Step 1. (And if you scored over 30, you were at the 83rd+ percentile anyway - not too shabby! 2012 MCAT percentiles from AAMC: http://bit.ly/YSnQzF :) )

ps That means you did as well as or better than over 74,000 other premeds last year.

Lol I meant to put a less than sign. I edited it now in the OP.

And yea guys I realize it is ridiculous. Its not so much that I care about the MCAT score itself, but I guess I just wanted to know the best I was capable of. I realize now that Im accepted, the MCAT is irrelevant. I guess part of it is that I've become a bit neurotic in thinking that the MCAT score will define my future performance even though I know this isn't true.

But yea I think I'm going to side with you guys and just get this silly idea out of my head lol.

I understand you, but is very weird...

Members don't see this ad :)
kinda in the same boat as the OP in a way. I got accepted to a school but not super happy with it. (OOS tuition + high CoL)

In a way kinda wish I woulda retook my 30 and studied for a super high score and get scholarships!

wow you are lucky to have that kind of time on your hands. buy some of your med school books early and start studying that instead. there really is no reason to take practice mcats at the stage you're at... huge waste of time. if you really feel like 'proving something to yourself' just retake the real thing :)

Lol, I get this, I was super disappointed with my score too b/c I had scored much higher on pretty much all my practice tests. Maybe I shoulda retaken, but at this point I would never consider retaking. Congrats on the acceptance - I'd use your time somehow else if I were you. :oops:

Hey guys, I have a similar question to OP. I took the MCAT last year and got a 39 on it. It's been slowly killing me ever since that I didn't get at least 40. I mean, I was so close, and if I had hit 40 my percentile would have been 99.9th instead of 99.6th. Is it crazy for me to do tests again just to prove to myself that I really am capable of breaking 40? And unlike OP, I haven't even applied yet, so maybe I should even retake before summer is over?

I'm kidding.

Hey guys, I have a similar question to OP. I took the MCAT last year and got a 39 on it. It's been slowly killing me ever since that I didn't get at least 40. I mean, I was so close, and if I had hit 40 my percentile would have been 99.9th instead of 99.6th. Is it crazy for me to do tests again just to prove to myself that I really am capable of breaking 40? And unlike OP, I haven't even applied yet, so maybe I should even retake before summer is over?

I'm kidding.

I think a re-take is warranted. There are more than 350 people that scored higher than you in the year you took it, and by the transitive property, more than 350 people who will make better doctors and be more successful.

Jokes aside, I almost did something similar.:oops: I was really bored recently and considered taking the verbal section of my last remaining practice MCAT. I bombed the real deal after doing a ton of prep and wanted to see if I could randomly beat my score with no studying. I came to my senses though.

Are you accepted anywhere?

I think a re-take is warranted. There are more than 350 people that scored higher than you in the year you took it, and by the transitive property, more than 350 people who will make better doctors and be more successful.

I realize this is meant to be facetious, but to invoke the transitive property, you need to first prove that higher scorers make better doctors. A tall order.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

When I got my MCAT score back I wanted to retake it anyways for fun to prove I could get what I was getting on practice tests (37+). I also thought I would get an acceptance this cycle so the MCAT would have no bearing. Now, I don't want to retake or reapply.!

How 'bout you apply for a job and prove to your parents that you are capable of something more than academics and playing Warhammer?

I realize this is meant to be facetious, but to invoke the transitive property, you need to first prove that higher scorers make better doctors. A tall order.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Indeed. Although the type of person making this claim would presumably believe this to be an axiom.

honestly even if i were in your shoes and cared enough to put in the effort to do so, i would never feel like i actually did it unless i took the test legitimately. i'm sure you know people score differently on their practice tests than on the real thing all the time, whether it be higher or lower. sooo unless you retake (DON'T, pointless), i highly doubt you'd get the satisfaction of proving anything to yourself.

i wouldn't waste my time if i were you.

How 'bout you apply for a job and prove to your parents that you are capable of something more than academics and playing Warhammer?

Ive worked for the past two years while being a student full time, I'm in no rush to go back.

Ok guys, I've already been accepted into medical school, but I still was never satisfied with my MCAT score. It was <30. Obviously I'm not going to retake it since I already have my acceptance, but I was thinking of doing some more practice tests just to prove to myself I can break a high 30 score.

You need to get the mentality out of your head that MCAT scores are a measure of "something" that a future doctor needs. There are people who got destroyed on their MCAT and yet have matriculated to medical school. Instead of feeling like s***, they focused their attention on the USMLE/COMLEX step 1 and killed it instead (I have seen their beastly numbers on SDN).

These tests have no barring as to how good of a doctor you will be. They are nothing more than assessment tools used by adcoms and residency directors to measure an applicant's potential to succeed (they need something).

Don't worry about it and instead let that uncertainty drive you to do well on the USMLE step 1. Good luck and congrats to you on making it in!

Almost threw my computer off the table, and definitely uttered at least one curse word (not angry, just confused, haha).

Please, relax man. It's done, it's over, you've made it. You never have to hear or say those 4 letters "MCAT," ever again in your life, because no one cares.

Congrats on the acceptance.

Yeah sure. I mean if its important to you why not. Like a good science quiz. Only thing is it costs 250 to take the test. I would do. We would be friends irl!

You're the kind of person that needs to tell people you're better than them, huh?

Please don't retake the USMLE again if you're not satisfied the first time.... ahahah. jk

I don't see why people are reacting so strongly. If it's something you feel like doing, go ahead and do it. There are worse ways to spend your time, and at least this way you'll be practicing some science and verbal reasoning. Maybe you'll even learn something about your general test-taking style that could use some improvement, which will be plenty useful later on.

Once you're in, no one cares about what you did before medical school. You'll all be pounded into the same mold by the end of M1 anyway.

I don't see why people are reacting so strongly. If it's something you feel like doing, go ahead and do it. There are worse ways to spend your time, and at least this way you'll be practicing some science and verbal reasoning. Maybe you'll even learn something about your general test-taking style that could use some improvement, which will be plenty useful later on.

Yea I dont get why people are flipping out lol. I can understand why some think its a waste of time, I can't figure out why people are actually getting annoyed or angry about it tho lol.

I think maybe some of them think I will actually be retaking the actual exam, but thats not the case. I was just planning on doing some more practice tests. I have a bunch of free ones from Kaplan and I was just thinking of putting them to use.

But after thinking it over, I think I could spend my time more wisely.

I just like keeping my mind busy and thats why I was just considering reviewing the material again, but now I just plan on reading through some scientific literature that interests me but that I can learn from as well.

I just don't get what doing well on a practice exam will accomplish for you. If you're worried about the academic rigors of med school, take credence to the fact that an adcom believes in you enough to accept you.

I just don't get what doing well on a practice exam will accomplish for you. If you're worried about the academic rigors of med school, take credence to the fact that an adcom believes in you enough to accept you.

Strangely enough, I'm not worried about medical school curriculum at all. I just kind of fell into this neurotic idea that doing not so great on the MCAT might mean I wouldn't do so great on Step 1. I realize its kind of silly, and I'm sure how hard I study and prepare for step 1 will be a much greater indicator of my eventual score than redoing a practice exam, but like I said it just an idea that I kept getting more neurotic about. I'm over it now though and I'm ready to move on ahead.