Is this what I want?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quitejaded

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a degree that will give me the kind of status I want.

My dream is to be able to give informative, trusted information about holistic health. So I'd love to travel the world helping others, have a TV show, a blog, etc.

I'm trying to figure out what I should do to make this happen and to give myself credibility and knowledge in this area.

Does MPH sound like a good fit for me?

Its hard to figure out. It seems as if NO ONE wants to do what I want to do. People either want to be a surgeon, a pharmacist in the lab, or managing a hospital. I don't necessarily want to wear a white coat every day of my work.

Members don't see this ad.

By looking at your posting history, it seems that you are quite scattered and truly have no idea what you want to do. A Master of Public Health is not going to get you fame and fortune. It's a professional degree to be used to help improve population health. Additionally, there are thousands of people out there with public health blogs, so you're not going to be unique in starting one.

I share your dream jaded!Dont know though about what you mean by 'holistic health' - I am genuinely interested though in having a clinical practice, primarily of alternative.complementary.preventive medicine etc. Is that what you mean?
Dont care too much about the blog or the TV or video spots - though I wouldn't deny 'em if they came my way!

Dont know about your background either. I always wanted to be an MD, the alternative side came in during medical school and the interest bloomed. Coming from the MD side - the best I found was to do either an internal med or a family med residency - and then there are several alternative/complementary fellowships (one including in AZ with Dr Andrew Weil which Id love to do!) Then there are courses on acupuncture and chinese medicine and herbology and all sorts of things you can imagine geared specifically for MDs. You can do those.

An MPH may not help you. But I think at least a clinical residency in something or the other - will give you the 'board certified' and 'practicing physician' angle. I dont know have anything against Dr. Phil, but I was reading that he aint even an MD, he's a PhD, and doesnt even have a 'real' clinical practice. Maybe Im wrong, I dont know, I dont watch his shows. If that's the kind of fame you're going for then it may be a different story...

As an aside I dont know about Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN's background...