Is Tie Necessary For Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I am around residents a lot in fields of medicine and at institutions that require unbelievably impeccable academic records to be accepted into. What I can say from that experience is that a lot of the residents dress like bums, wearing wrinkled casual khakis tucked into polo shirts with tennis shoes. Now the tennis shoes thing, or a casual dress shoe with appropriate soles, I don’t see anything wrong with. Being at the clinic is a nightmare on the feet like you wouldn’t even imagine, with some expensive high strength hardwood below creating a devilish force vector on your body. Some residents choose to wear a dress shirt and a tie every day, but these are the rarity. The first time I shadowed this one Dr. I wore shorts on the first day, he yelled at his nurse about it and made me leave, but allowed me to come back because she didn’t give me the dress code. From then on I wore a tie every day and he seemed to like that. For an interview, definitely wear a tie, because if some of the interviewers are those who dress up, they won’t accept you. A suit is good too, but personally I have been accepted to more jobs when I don’t wear a suit, and wear a nice dress shirt, slacks and tie. That combination puts me in a nicely dressed but humble appearance. However I recommend the suit and tie, some people might expect that.

I am around residents a lot in fields of medicine and at institutions that require unbelievably impeccable academic records to be accepted into. What I can say from that experience is that a lot of the residents dress like bums, wearing wrinkled casual khakis tucked into polo shirts with tennis shoes. Now the tennis shoes thing, or a casual dress shoe with appropriate soles, I don’t see anything wrong with. Being at the clinic is a nightmare on the feet like you wouldn’t even imagine, with some expensive high strength hardwood below creating a devilish force vector on your body. Some residents choose to wear a dress shirt and a tie every day, but these are the rarity. The first time I shadowed this one Dr. I wore shorts on the first day, he yelled at his nurse about it and made me leave, but allowed me to come back because she didn’t give me the dress code. From then on I wore a tie every day and he seemed to like that. For an interview, definitely wear a tie, because if some of the interviewers are those who dress up, they won’t accept you. A suit is good too, but personally I have been accepted to more jobs when I don’t wear a suit, and wear a nice dress shirt, slacks and tie. That combination puts me in a nicely dressed but humble appearance. However I recommend the suit and tie, some people might expect that.

Job interview does not equal medical school interview. Wear a suit and tie. Everyone does, you will look like a bum without both.

Weird font bro.

For sure

Don't wear a tie, wear a bling instead…..makes your interviewer feel more like your homie.

Every single guy at my interview had on a suit and tie.

This does make one wonder if wearing a bow-ties or something would make you stick out. Even if the adcoms don't specifically remember you for that I would think that the psychology behind it would effect their memory of said bow-tie wearer. Example; you are watching a power point of biology slides when all of a sudden a "human sexuality" slide gets mixed up in the presentation. I think you would remember that slide.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get the right interviewers and you rock it, you could get away with it. There are tons of super formal people though that'll judge you for it though.

Personally, once residency hits I'm dropping a tie if it's even remotely appropriate. I've seen tons of docs without a tie or even with just a polo shirt, although they aren't the majority. I often get headaches when I wear them (or just have the top button done on a shirt that fits even remotely around my neck), and even if I don't I think they're uncomfortable and stupid for certain fields of medicine (psych, ER, anything with violent patients etc).

But really: Ties suck. Wear one to your interview.

This does make one wonder if wearing a bow-ties or something would make you stick out. Even if the adcoms don't specifically remember you for that I would think that the psychology behind it would effect their memory of said bow-tie wearer. Example; you are watching a power point of biology slides when all of a sudden a "human sexuality" slide gets mixed up in the presentation. I think you would remember that slide.

Which is exactly why im saying to wear the bling.

I know a med student who got into an argument with his attending over the use of ties in hospital settings. The attending wanted everyone to wear ties because it looked professional, but the med student cited British studies that showed ties spread infections and that doctors in the UK's National Health Service were required not to wear ties for this reason. They ended up agreeing to disagree.

For the interview, where you won't be seeing patients, the tie is a good idea. And if you're going to wear one, you might as well show that you pay attention to detail by getting the dimple right regardless of what knot type you use.

A bow tie really avoids the contagion problem because it is unlikely to touch the patient and you are unlikely to touch after touching the patient because it is not going to get in your way.

A tie bar is another way to keep the tie out of the way of the patient and reduce your need to handle it.

Of course, on interview day you are very, very unlikely to be in a position where you will be even close to a patient, so it isn't even an issue.

I <3 />-</

I can't believe the cravat or ascot tie haven't been mentioned.

il_430xN.25026656.jpg

This magnificent piece of fabric may well be the holy grail the OP and other like minded folks have been searching for: suave, sexy, comfortable, hygienic, and sure to make an impression. And if you're Croatian, add culturally authentic to the list.

I can't believe the cravat or ascot tie haven't been mentioned.

il_430xN.25026656.jpg

This magnificent piece of fabric may well be the holy grail the OP and other like minded folks have been searching for: suave, sexy, comfortable, hygienic, and sure to make an impression. And if you're Croatian, add culturally authentic to the list.

I know you say these are Croation, but I still picture this being accessorized with something like this:

"I dare say sir, tis the medical establishment that a noble man such as I could see thyself attending."

Well, if you're going to do the headpiece, then you have to go sans ascot tie. Fashion faux pas. This is 2010, not 1780. :rolleyes:

I know you say these are Croation, but I still picture this being accessorized with something like this:

"I dare say sir, tis the medical establishment that a noble man such as I could see thyself attending."

there was one guy at my interview without a tie....me.....I got in......everything else about the interview was impeccable, so not wearing a tie was not a negative thing......I don't know where everybody will stand on this, and you may call me an idiot, but that's okay. The move is risky, but if you are confident in the rest of your apparel and are not a goof it is possible*....

*failure to gain acceptance at a medical school due to not wearing a tie is out of my hands, and I am not responsible for such event

Please don't wear a clip on, it will be so embarrassing if it falls off during your interview or on the tour. You have 4 months to practice :)

there was one guy at my interview without a tie....me.....I got in......everything else about the interview was impeccable, so not wearing a tie was not a negative thing......I don't know where everybody will stand on this, and you may call me an idiot, but that's okay. The move is risky, but if you are confident in the rest of your apparel and are not a goof it is possible*....

*failure to gain acceptance at a medical school due to not wearing a tie is out of my hands, and I am not responsible for such event

Nobody is saying it's impossible to get in if you don't wear a tie, but why stack the deck against yourself when getting in is already so tough? You want to maximize your chances. As someone who interviews applicants, I would definitely do a double take if I saw a candidate without a tie.

I can't stand wearing ties.

can one pull of the interview look without a tie?

A tie is only necessary if you really want to go to that school, if you could care less than I guess you could ditch it.

Nobody is saying it's impossible to get in if you don't wear a tie, but why stack the deck against yourself when getting in is already so tough? You want to maximize your chances. As someone who interviews applicants, I would definitely do a double take if I saw a candidate without a tie.

That is true.......There is no reason to stack the deck against yourself......I would look at an applicant not wearing a tie as well, and after talking to him about it, I would assess whether he is just a schmuck trying to pull a stunt or someone who is just trying to be comfortable and confident.......Its a super tough call if you are contemplating it, but for most, wearing a tie is not an issue........

You are going to have to wear a tie during your 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations, so get used to it. What a silly thread!

Strapping a dildo to your head with a belt would be less problematic than not wearing a tie to your med school interview.

Just seeing this thread pop back up again made me smile. It is home to this, the best post on SDN.

I personally think wearing a tie is a must. But, it would be an easy way to be remembered. "That no-tie guy isn't that big of an idiot. I vote accept."

I am, quite literally, unable to walk wearing heels. I don't plan to ever wear them, and I'm not going to be breaking my ankle in front of the admissions folks. At 5'8", I'm tall enough, dangit.

I am, quite literally, unable to walk wearing heels. I don't plan to ever wear them, and I'm not going to be breaking my ankle in front of the admissions folks. At 5'8", I'm tall enough, dangit.

I noticed quite a few women wearing flats at interviews so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I personally think wearing a tie is a must. But, it would be an easy way to be remembered. "That no-tie guy isn't that big of an idiot. I vote accept."

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to wear an awesome tie. In an otherwise conservative outfit, your tie might be the sharpest thing you're wearing.

I agree with Naylor...flats are completely acceptable. Even if heels were the standard, I'd break with the norm to avoid breaking an ankle. Women who wobble and clunk around because they aren't used to heels are distracting.

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to wear an awesome tie. In an otherwise conservative outfit, your tie might be the sharpest thing you're wearing.

..unless you go without a jacket too while rocking a sweater vest, as I saw some guy do at an interview. BOLD :eek:

CIMG6346_large.jpg

If you don't want to wear a tie, you could just wear a design like this. I seriously doubt that your interviewer will be able to tell the difference. They will see you in the tie and immediately know that you are serious business.

..unless you go without a jacket too while rocking a sweater vest, as I saw some guy do at an interview. BOLD :eek:

Sweater vest could be done with a jacket and optional tie, but just the sweater vest? I don't even....

I think that vests were designed for protection. Like, the life vest protects you from drowning. And the bullet-proof vest protects you from getting shot.

And the sweater vest protects you from pretty girls. "Leave me alone! Can't you see I'm really cold, just right here?" *motions to torso*

I dunno what all the fuss is about. As long as you wear your formal tongue ring you'll be all set.

Seriously? You should definitely wear a tie. No question!

Med school interviews are generally pretty "nice" compared to IB/consulting interviews. I once had an interviewee for a MBA level position show up wearing a black jacket with a white button-down, untucked, w/o tie.

I sent my secretary out to talk with him. "Mr. Drizzt regrets he's unavailable for your scheduled interview. He does, however recommend you look up the defiinition of business formal attire for future interviews."

where did you interview when you saw this?

I am so happy this got bumped for my reading pleasure. Thank you, whomever did it.

Also, instead of wearing the typical black power dress suit that most women wear, I wore a nice conservative dark blue/green plaid dress and black jacket. I got told at all of my interviews, "it's so nice to see someone wearing something different." So I guess sticking out isn't all bad, as long as it's within the normal constraints. Like wearing a dildo on your head.

I am so happy this got bumped for my reading pleasure. Thank you, whomever did it.

Also, instead of wearing the typical black power dress suit that most women wear, I wore a nice conservative dark blue/green plaid dress and black jacket. I got told at all of my interviews, "it's so nice to see someone wearing something different." So I guess sticking out isn't all bad, as long as it's within the normal constraints. Like wearing a dildo on your head.

I'm a girl, so I won't be wearing a tie...but...

You know, in Ph.D. land, you get railed on by some faculty for wearing a suit at interviews. In fact, khakis are ideal. When my now thesis advisor interviewed me (it wasn't much of an interview-he said that I was basically accepted), he said "not to tell you what to do, but the next interviewer doesn't trust someone wearing a suit, so umm...you might wanna casual it up a bit before you go in there." :eek:

I'm a girl, so I won't be wearing a tie...but...

You know, in Ph.D. land, you get railed on by some faculty for wearing a suit at interviews. In fact, khakis are ideal. When my now thesis advisor interviewed me (it wasn't much of an interview-he said that I was basically accepted), he said "not to tell you what to do, but the next interviewer doesn't trust someone wearing a suit, so umm...you might wanna casual it up a bit before you go in there." :eek:

I'm totally with PhD land. Women in power suits make me extremely nervous, and they totally don't look as good as men in (well-fitted) suits do.