Is Tie Necessary For Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshto

Nervous&Neurotic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't stand wearing ties.

can one pull of the interview look without a tie?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe but when it comes down to it I'd hate to not get into medical school because the "other guy" wore a tie and I didn't.

i would say wear one, just because it might look more professional, whatever that looks like..

if anything, wear a clip-on and a tightly collared shirt so they don't realize it's a clip-on.

Members don't see this ad :)
bow_tie.jpg

The interviewers definitely won't forget you. :laugh:

I feel your pain. Dressing up sucks. However, yes, a tie is pretty much required.

Strapping a dildo to your head with a belt would be less problematic than not wearing a tie to your med school interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, wear a tie (and a suit). You don't want to stick out for the wrong reasons (and yes, not wearing it will make you stick out). I also think people look better with suits and nice ties, so why not add points to your "rating" if you can?

If you got rejected, you would kick yourself in the foot for not wearing a tie and probably blame that as your reason for not getting an acceptance. Just wear the tie and play the game like everyone else, its only a few hours worth of discomfort, anyways.

And believe me we have it easy compared to girls - my dress shoes are uncomfortable, can you imagine how heels would feel?

If you have a 4.0, 39T, and great LORs, you could still get a grumpy old man interviewer with a wild hair across his ass who will ding you for not dressing professionally.

Suck it up. Wear a tie.

Get used to it man, when and if you start med school they will require you to wear ties when you go into the hospital with your white coat. Especially during non-surgical fields, they will required you to dress up. Don't like the game? Get out.

Get used to it man, when and if you start med school they will require you to wear ties when you go into the hospital with your white coat. Especially during non-surgical fields, they will required you to dress up. Don't like the game? Get out.

Post of the year.

If you can't dress like a professional when seeking admission, how can they trust you'll ever be a professional?

Strapping a dildo to your head with a belt would be less problematic than not wearing a tie to your med school interview.

I would argue that this is the post of the year. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
What about a dildo with a bowtie on it strapped to your head? :confused:

I don't think it would be that terrible. UC Denver recommends on their website that if you aren't comfortable with a tie than don't do it. Certainly a fake penis on your head would be worse :)

"One of the most important aspects of the interview is to present to the medical school admissions committee who you are. If you are the type of person who hasn't worn a coat and tie in 10 years, and suddenly do, you run the very real chance of making yourself so uncomfortable and self conscious that you will not do well on the interview. Does this mean you should wear a t-shirt and blue jeans? No. It means you should be professional. Dress in whatever manner you would to present yourself in a professional manner."

like geekchick said, you can wear the heels instead of the tie if you want.

"Is Tie Necessary For Interview?"

Well, no, not at all really. You could show up in jeans and still get an interview.

Is it necessary for an acceptance? Probably.

Just wear one, its not the end of the world. When the interviewed is asking you questions, you are not even going to think about your tie anyway.

Sure. This picture shows he's holding a basketball but it's formal enough:

8JzDI.png

Then again, just wear a tie to be safe. :p Think of it as another hurdle you have to jump in the application game.

Part of the interview "game" is showing the interviewers that you fit in, i.e., that you are a lot like them, are professional, etc. Like it or not, for better or worse, medicine is a very conservative profession and you do not want to stand out at the interview as the only male interviewee not wearing a tie.

*SLAP YOURSELF ON THE FOREHEAD AND SAY "I could have had a V8"*

How is this not common sense man? Wear a tie.. unless you're interviewing before me, in that case don't wear one. :cool:

But on the real.. wear a tie and well fitted suit. One day of being uncomfortable is worth your dream career!

Last edited:
*SLAP YOURSELF ON THE FOREHEAD AND SAY "I could have had a V8"*

How is this not common sense man? Wear a tie.. unless you're interviewing before me, in that case don't wear one. :cool:

But on the real.. wear a tie and well fitted suit. One day being uncomfortable is worth your dream career!

One day? Hey OP, you will be expected to wears ties A LOT throughout medical school. It's not 'optional' either.

PS: You're not interviewing for a roadie gig for the next Police reunion tour, you're attempting to be accepted into a profession that is incredibly structured and traditional. Being unique is not an asset - standing out is about the worst thing you can do.

One day? Hey OP, you will be expected to wears ties A LOT throughout medical school. It's not 'optional' either.

PS: You're not interviewing for a roadie gig for the next Police reunion tour, you're attempting to be accepted into a profession that is incredibly structured and traditional. Being unique is not an asset - standing out is about the worst thing you can do.

Thanks.

I would like to go back in time and slap the ***** who thought of the idea that wearing a piece of cloth hanging from your neck would indicate "professionalism". Society sure can come up with such non-sense. Same thing goes for shaving.

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to go back in time and slap the ***** who thought of the idea that wearing a piece of cloth hanging from your neck would indicate "professionalism". Society sure can come up with such non-sense. Same thing goes for shaving.
Ties cause problems too, like choking (accidental or by another person), spreading germs (if you're in a hospital without a tie clip it'll hit stuff and rub other stuff), being overpriced...etc...lol

I'm going to go in a white bow tie and a top hat. And introduce myself as Philip Nicklebocker the third.

I don't think it would be that terrible. UC Denver recommends on their website that if you aren't comfortable with a tie than don't do it. Certainly a fake penis on your head would be worse :)

"One of the most important aspects of the interview is to present to the medical school admissions committee who you are. If you are the type of person who hasn't worn a coat and tie in 10 years, and suddenly do, you run the very real chance of making yourself so uncomfortable and self conscious that you will not do well on the interview. Does this mean you should wear a t-shirt and blue jeans? No. It means you should be professional. Dress in whatever manner you would to present yourself in a professional manner."

its_a_trap.jpg

When I was 12-13, I would complain to my mother about wearing dress clothes to synagogue, "This is not who I am, I don't think it looks good, I don't want to be part of a society that judges me based on whether or not I have a silk thing around my neck, etc."

I was 12.

Now, a tie is not required wear I work.
I wear a tie every day to work anway.
Why?
Because I want to be a doctor.

When I was 12-13, I would complain to my mother about wearing dress clothes to synagogue, "This is not who I am, I don't think it looks good, I don't want to be part of a society that judges me based on whether or not I have a silk thing around my neck, etc."

I was 12.

Why?

And welcome everybody, to the other end of the spectrum.

Why?

I also where a tie everyday because I want to be a doctor.

The reverse is also true: "Why do I want to be a doctor?"- because I want to where a tie everyday.

I was 12.

Why?

And now you're all grown up!!! Such a good boyyy!!

I was 12.

Why?

If you were to send this post to your overbearing, Estelle Costanza-esque Jewish mother attached to a wedding announcement, her head would quite possibly explode.

As most people are saying...

Grow up. Wear a tie.

Remember that you are applying to be in "charge" of someone's healthcare. You should not give the adcom the slightest question as to your professionalism.

The tie; it's only for the true professional.

BE064804.jpg

georgebushdickcheneytellinglies.jpg

madoff_jail.jpg

oj-simpson-tv-book-special-hypothetical-11-16-2006.jpg

;)

I've only seen one male not wear a tie. It's pretty expected. I mean, even most of your interviewers are going to be wearing ties.

My interviewer wore a sparkly jean jacket.