Is transferring NP schools possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bonferroni Correction

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

My wife is an RN and is completing her NP. I had always planned to stay here after finishing residency but have been offered a job >1500 miles away in a city with multiple NP programs. I have scoured each of their websites and cannot find anything about transfer policies. Does anyone have any information or experience on this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My wife is an RN and is completing her NP. I had always planned to stay here after finishing residency but have been offered a job >1500 miles away in a city with multiple NP programs. I have scoured each of their websites and cannot find anything about transfer policies. Does anyone have any information or experience on this?

Thanks!

That is a good question. I know PA schools it would be hard to impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I don't want to chime in like a downer because I'm completely uninformed on this, but.... I'll give you my guess. Before I do, I'll preface it by saying the best way to proceed is to simply ask the school you have in mind at the location you are looking to be at whether they will take your wife's existing coursework. Nobody here can say, but we can throw out guesses, which admittedly aren't something you can pin your long term plans to.

On to my guess....

I'd be surprised if it would work out, let alone be allowed by the receiving school. There are just too many variables involved. My NP program moves us along as a cohort, and that's one example of something that would interfere with a seamless transition. If she were in one of the oft criticized online programs, she wouldn't even miss a beat. Mine is a heavy hybrid, with frequent trips to campus for various skills and assessments. But as long as someone can travel, which I do, then there's no reason to be wedded to the location of the school in that type of program. Then there are the online programs with minimal or I guess even no in person component. But it sounds like she is in an exclusively brick and morter program, and might be stuck.