Is Tufts tough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KitKat413

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of applying and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions of Tuft's Vet school.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought about it, but then looked at the out of state tuition. YIKES!!!
I prefer to have 40-80K debt, not 150K :)
DrRae

It's a great school - my first choice, when I apply. Tufts is best known for its work to eliminate harmful animal use in its curriculum. It's pricey, but very nonresident-friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also under the assumption that it is not very resident friendly either. It's a private school.

I visisted Tufts on interview a few years ago. The campus/hospitals were not very big in my opinion. They didn't impress me at the time. Of course things can be different now. I have a friend who just began his internship there and he said the ER is very good. I don't know how many emergencies they actually see though, given they are in a more rural location. Regarding private vs. state funded vet schools, last I knew all vet schools in the US received some sort of state funding, therefore all vet school reserved a certain number of seats for in state residents. I know there was talk on the about.com forum a while ago about Tufts having lost their state funding, therefore they didn't offer preferance to in state residents any more. This would be worth looking into. Also, when I interviewed, I was told there was extremely limited scholarships available for students. Meaning you would need to find outside funding beyond govt. loans. Again, my info is all from a few years ago. I hope this helps in a way.

Tufts still takes about half their class from MA applicants.

I spoke to someone at Tufts admissions last year after being rejected by that school :( . She said that for the class of 2008, a quantitative GRE score less than 700 was considered "low." Needless to say, mine was <700 at the time. Of course, scores change yearly with the competitiveness of applicants, up or down. Many schools don't publish their scores because I think they're afraid that many people wouldn't bother applying. They do like to take other things into consideration, so please don't let this discourage you for Tufts or anywhere else if your score is lower. I just wanted to throw it out there for the sake of knowledge. Still, most (make that all) vet schools are "tough" to get in. Right now 1/3 of people get in on their first try. (Actually, I don't think that's a horrible number.)

Another thing is this. I am really not sure about Tufts in particular, but it usually helps to be an in-state student. Some notable exceptions: Cornell--takes so many out-of-state (OOS) students that I felt my chances were almost better out of New York. At least then I could apply to Cornell and still have the advantage of residency elsewhere. Michigan--also takes a lot of OOS students. Missouri currently takes more OOS than in-state students (not kidding).

Hope this helps. If anyone has more current information, please correct me. :)

P.S. I was attracted to Tuft's policies on animal use (or non-use). Some, if not most, schools will allow you the option of not working on live animals. Thank you, but I'll pass on live dissections/surgeries ... :scared:

I talked to a Tuft's admission counselor like 2 weeks ago.....I guess the main thing I got out of it was....the GRE needs to be high like FencerGirl said....the GPA should be close to their mean range...whatever that is I can't remmeber...SHe did tell me a story about 2 women who applied 5x to Tufts and only one just got in this year....insane! 5x! SHe reccomended to me that if yer GPA is not stellar try the caribbean schools...they're still respectable and their philosophy is they try to take everyone who wants to be a vet...but they have a high drop-out rate. Ppl from those schools are still able to find jobs in the US...its not hard....Tufts has a pretty rigorous screening process b/c they want to make sure they pick students that absolutely can handle vet school and want to be a vet...they have a very low drop-out rate...but I guess that's a given =).
If yer in-state apply to Tufts! Or call the admiss. counselor to see if she can offer u any advice! Other than that I don't know too much about Tufts except its a good school.....and the don't have a minumum GPA like some schools...

It's SOV's boredom MO

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
<cue small debt envy from every vet student in the last 5 years>

anyone here graduating with 40k debt ?

If you add on a 2 in front of the 40k, you will actually have the exact figure I will be owing! That's kinda close, right?

This is for my in-state public university (Davis), I'll be graduating with 240k debt(Tuition, supplies, cost of living).

Heh.

Reactions: 1 user
If you add on a 2 in front of the 40k, you will actually have the exact figure I will be owing! That's kinda close, right?

This is for my in-state public university (Davis), I'll be graduating with 240k debt(Tuition, supplies, cost of living).

Heh.
:boom:

Reactions: 2 users
I visisted Tufts on interview a few years ago. The campus/hospitals were not very big in my opinion. They didn't impress me at the time. Of course things can be different now. I have a friend who just began his internship there and he said the ER is very good. I don't know how many emergencies they actually see though, given they are in a more rural location.

Their small animal ER is one of the busiest in the nation for an academic institution. If anything, their ECC dept is amazing and very well known.

"More rural" yes compared to Angell or Penn, but still in a fairly wealthy suburban area in New England where people generally spend quite a bit for their pet's medical care. And "rural" as in like 35 miles from Boston proper. According to an ohio state grad who is a house officer at Tufts, their ER is apparently much busier than OSU's which is located right in Columbus (and also has one of the highest small animal case load across the country).

The small animal teaching hospital is very cramped and kind of old (not shiny and spacious like a lot of the other schools'), but they are pretty darn busy.

I saw those numbers and had to do a double take because I thought there must be a typo or something...

How do you come across all these threads from the early 2000's? Are you just randomly searching for things or what?

Lol what is happening here? I logged on and see several painfully vague thread titles....thanks for the entertainment

Lol what is happening here? I logged on and see several painfully vague thread titles....thanks for the entertainment
SOV likes to occasionally bring us back to...well...not sure I would call it the good old days.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you come across all these threads from the early 2000's? Are you just randomly searching for things or what?

You can find them easily by the page numbers at the top of the forum page. Pages #200+ have some entertaining threads.

Just click the last page, 212 I think. Then you have easy access to them ;).

You can find them easily by the page numbers at the top of the forum page. Pages #200+ have some entertaining threads.
Oh, I figured there might be some magic trick that lets SOV find the really funny ones. Guess I'll just have to dedicate more time to SDN... :heckyeah:

Reactions: 1 user
From the 2 old pages I've looked at, there are many more funny ones than serious ones in the 2003-2004 pages.

latest