Is USC md/phd admissions rolling or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
they invited me for an interview but they seem very liberal about me choosing a date.. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

chef,
when did you submit your supplemental app to USC?

hey chef,

did you go on this interview yet? did you like it?

i had an md/phd interview at usc already and they told me that yes the md/phd program is rolling admissions. but i was a little confused about how/when they make funding decisions. i love when i ask a question and get an answer and am still confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey rondo,
i'd love to hear about your impressions of usc. Was there a research facility on the medical school campus? What level of research goes on at usc? is it all clinical training oriented like what others have told me at interviews?

It's not mstp , but is it a good md/phd program that has a potential to become a mstp soon? I went to U of Maryland and that school looked extremely promising. They will become MSTP in a few years.

I was debating whether to go to usc interview but since I'm interviewing at ucla I decided to go to usc. I am interviewing w/ the director of curriculum. :eek:

hey chef (is that like south park chef?)

usc was okay. i wasn't blown away by the place, you know? i think my opinion was biased because i was so impressed with duke. i guess you can't help comparing all the places you go. usc have research facilities at the medical campus including a cancer center. uh, i don't know what you mean by clinical training, but there is basic science stuff going on although one of the students told me that like all the md/phd's do residencies unlike some other places.

i guess they are applying right now for mstp but not until the year after we would enter. they only have four fully funded positions, two of which are spots in the caltech program. the opportunity to go to caltech was what impressed me most. oh, and the hospital is really cool because it's really crazy.

you will probably meet with the director of curriculum but actually have interviews with faculty members. at least that's what happened with me. she just asks you if you have any questions really. unfortunately, it doesn't sound like they make any effort to get people whose work you said you were interested in.

you are traveling a long way! i hope you have a good trip. i'd really like to hear about your experiences in la la land...

hey rondo thanks for your reply.

what i meant by clinical training was literally just that, the 3rd&4th yr stuff. Some guy I met totally dismissed usc's research program but praised its high level of training during 3&4th years b/c of the teaching hospital. He told me to go to USC only if I want to become a good clinician but not if I want to be a good researcher.

Oh, can you elaborate a bit on the caltech thing? UCLA also picks 2 for the ucla/caltech program, but I didn't even apply for it at ucla b/c I'm interested in more classical mol bio (and functional genomics) research, so I won't miss out too much if i didn't do the joint program. I figured the joint program is more for engineering/tech oriented people who want to pursue imaging, bioengineering, biomedical engineering,etc.

I forgot if USC made us specify if we are applying to usc md/phd only, or usc/caltech only? or do they decide who gets the combined program?

yeah, it'll be a long trip for me. la-la land? i'm not sure about that but i'm excited about the trip to CA for sure. Looking forward to visiting UCSD, UCLA, USC, and hopefully Stanford!! (the mstp lady will let me know next week; I'm gonna beg and weep for an interview there... how can you go wrong w/ a super laid-back, freedom-to-students-style curriculum and philosophy (much like yale's), SF location, beautiful campus, and its reputation? Did I mention the location??
:D i've heard about stanford's financial probs but i will worry about that after acceptances.

where r u from rondo? CA? any comments on stanford?

Chef:
Congrats on your interviews! Has Stanford started interviewing yet? Do you know whether or not they pay interview expenses?

Hey Rondo:
It's good to read your posts! I was wandering whether you had disappeared off the face of the Earth. I just got back from WashU and I'm really exhausted; yet I have a final tomorrow, and another final the day after. But "I will survive ohhh I will survive...walk out the door...I've got all my life to live and I've got all my love to give ooooOOOhhh I will survive... yada ya da da... :( " Hey keep posting and keep in touch.

chef!

yeah, i'm from california, bay area. doesn't everyone refer to los angeles as la la land? ha ha.

as a grad student, it is my understanding that whether or not you learn how to be a "good researcher" or how to be perceived as become a "good researcher" relies largely on who you work for, not so much where you go, especially in the pure sciences. i think maybe what this guy meant is that the md/phd program does not pressure their students into becoming full-time researchers like many mstps. in fact, it sounded like they really wanted them to be clinicians in some capacity.

i understand that caltech has made a real committment to beefing up their biology program. anyway, i guess if you were interested in the caltech program you were to indicate it on the usc secondary and then they forward it to caltech for independent review. i am an engineer, ha ha you got that right.

hey, did stanford tell you how far along in the mstp process they have gotten? the hospital there is really slick, like duke. you almost forget sick people are there. it's like the total opposite of usc's!

i hope you have a great trip! you'll have to tell all about it.

ORIGINAL! you sound like one busy dude! i've been sick :( i know what you mean about finishing grad school. i'm so not into it. i want them to just give me the damn degree at this point! ;)