IS versus anywhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

somebun

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Did anyone NOT choose their instate?

If so, would you reach out to me and discuss why.

Members don't see this ad.

Me!! I have chosen VMCVM over UGA. BUT I’m using the GI Bill to pay for vet school so it made out of pocket cost basically the same. As much as it would’ve broken my heart, I wouldn’t have been able to justify the $30k/year difference in tuition had I been paying entirely out of pocket.

What schools are you considering? There are student loan payment calculators online that you can play around with to get an idea of what the difference in tuition will look like if you go OOS vs IS. If the difference is minimal, go to your preferred school. If not, a DVM is a DVM and your future self will thank your present self for being smart. After all, it’s only 4 years and it will be over in a flash!

I did. I didn't even apply to my instate. I was in a unique situation though because my instate was Penn, so it was cheaper for me to go out of state. I saved myself $60,000 going to UF compared to what it would cost me to go to Penn.

Reactions: 2 users
Me!! I have chosen VMCVM over UGA. BUT I’m using the GI Bill to pay for vet school so it made out of pocket cost basically the same. As much as it would’ve broken my heart, I wouldn’t have been able to justify the $30k/year difference in tuition had I been paying entirely out of pocket.

What schools are you considering? There are student loan payment calculators online that you can play around with to get an idea of what the difference in tuition will look like if you go OOS vs IS. If the difference is minimal, go to your preferred school. If not, a DVM is a DVM and your future self will thank your present self for being smart. After all, it’s only 4 years and it will be over in a flash!
Thanks. There’s a bit of personal specifics in my choice but essentially I’m in a position where my OOS sets me up a lot better for a career and my overall payments for both would be the same despite the difference in tuition

Members don't see this ad :)
My IS was Mizzou but I actually ended up attending ISU. I only went that route because I’m a dependent of a veteran and was therefore eligible to pay IS tuition rates at ISU and it ended up being very slightly cheaper annually than the IS rates at Mizzou.

Thanks. There’s a bit of personal specifics in my choice but essentially I’m in a position where my OOS sets me up a lot better for a career and my overall payments for both would be the same despite the difference in tuition
What’s the hesitation if your overall payments would be the same for both?

What’s the hesitation if your overall payments would be the same for both?
Because one involves a significantly higher loan. I might ultimately pay the same for both, according to financial advice, but still taking out more than I need doesn’t seem responsible

Reactions: 1 user
Because one involves a significantly higher loan. I might ultimately pay the same for both, according to financial advice, but still taking out more than I need doesn’t seem responsible

I don't understand why your payments for both would be the same if you take a higher loan out at one?

Regardless, if you're looking for advice specific to your situation it's hard to provide that without the details that are driving your indecision. Why do you think the OOS school would set you up better for a career? What is the price difference? Why is the loan higher at one if the overall payments are the same?

Reactions: 2 users
I don't understand why your payments for both would be the same if you take a higher loan out at one?

Regardless, if you're looking for advice specific to your situation it's hard to provide that without the details that are driving your indecision. Why do you think the OOS school would set you up better for a career? What is the price difference? Why is the loan higher at one if the overall payments are the same?
I appreciate that you are trying to help but I asked for people to reach out specifically because I’m looking to discuss with someone in a similar situation.

The OOS has a program that has more available and would let me make a lot more connections and experience in the specialty I want to go for. This is based on a lot of discussion with people at both schools and in the field.

Payments are the same because IBR has a cap. After a certain point your payment doesn’t increase and I’d hit that point for both schools. I’m aiming for PSLF so I wouldn’t even be hit with the tax difference at the end. Even if I was, the overall difference is less than 20K

I appreciate that you are trying to help but I asked for people to reach out specifically because I’m looking to discuss with someone in a similar situation.

The OOS has a program that has more available and would let me make a lot more connections and experience in the specialty I want to go for. This is based on a lot of discussion with people at both schools and in the field.

Payments are the same because IBR has a cap. After a certain point your payment doesn’t increase and I’d hit that point for both schools. I’m aiming for PSLF so I wouldn’t even be hit with the tax difference at the end. Even if I was, the overall difference is less than 20K

Okay. It sounds to me like you already made up your mind and are just looking for validation. I'm not sure what the value of selectively seeking people who chose a more expensive school (and aren't even in repayment yet so are not even feeling the impacts of their decision) is. But if you don't care for any other input on your situation then that's your prerogative.

Reactions: 4 users
Okay. It sounds to me like you already made up your mind and are just looking for validation. I'm not sure what the value of selectively seeking people who chose a more expensive school (and aren't even in repayment yet so are not even feeling the impacts of their decision) is. But if you don't care for any other input on your situation then that's your prerogative.
I haven’t made up my mind. However I have heard a lot from one side of the argument and want to hear from the other, too

Status
Not open for further replies.