Is work a state function?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennieblackpink

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The equation for work is:
W = Force x Displacement.

Displacement is path independent, so they why isn't work considered a state function? My impression is that work would be the same regardless of the path taken (i.e. pushing a box diagonally vs. right then up). By that nature doesn't that make it a state function? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The equation for work is:
W = Force x Displacement.

Displacement is path independent, so they why isn't work considered a state function? My impression is that work would be the same regardless of the path taken (i.e. pushing a box diagonally vs. right then up). By that nature doesn't that make it a state function? Thanks
W= F*distance. Since the definition of work is literally moving objects against a force, it must be path dependent and not a state function. Prove this to yourself on a Pressure versus volume graph. The pic starts and ends at the same places, take different paths, and the work is not equal. If you need further explanation let me know, or do some self-reflection and research since the concept of work is veryyyyy important. Good luck! ~

Work+and+heat+are+not+state+functions.jpg

I added a second picture for your enjoyment.
0ab7f22b5655be982f1d70d39a3e3e12.jpg

Last edited:
You push a box on a floor from your bed to your door. That's work. Then you push it back but instead of going straight to your bed, you take it outside, around the block, then back in through the door and to your bed. Did you do more work? Displacement is the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Use the equation: work = force * distance, not force * displacement. Different places teach each of those equations, but using distance makes it easier to understand.