Is working as a medical screener at a plasma donation center solid experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nchop28

Reaction score
It has been very difficult for me to obtain clinical experience, but somehow I received an interview as a medical screener at CSL Plasma. Would it be a good idea to work hear throughout the rest of my undergrad as a source of clinical experience? I will definitely make sure I get physician shadowing soon, but I need some kind of experience at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

It has been very difficult for me to obtain clinical experience, but somehow I received an interview as a medical screener at CSL Plasma. Would it be a good idea to work hear throughout the rest of my undergrad as a source of clinical experience? I will definitely make sure I get physician shadowing soon, but I need some kind of experience at this point.
Those donating at a plasma center are generally healthy, and don't fall into the category of "a current patient." This would not be a clinical experience for med school application purposes.

OTOH, perhaps you'd be working exclusively with the recipients of the plasma-derived products, in which case, that could work for you. Do you have a job description?

Those donating at a plasma center are generally healthy, and don't fall into the category of "a current patient." This would not be a clinical experience for med school application purposes.

OTOH, perhaps you'd be working exclusively with the recipients of the plasma-derived products, in which case, that could work for you. Do you have a job description?
In compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), assists qualified donors in completing the screening process. The screening procedures includes but are not limited to: assessing the self-administered health history, answering basic medical questions associated with the donation process, referring donors to medical staff when appropriate and performing health screening procedures such as blood pressure, pulse, weight, temperature. Performs finger stick to obtain sample to obtain donor’s hematocrit and total protein levels.

Members don't see this ad :)
In compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), assists qualified donors in completing the screening process. The screening procedures includes but are not limited to: assessing the self-administered health history, answering basic medical questions associated with the donation process, referring donors to medical staff when appropriate and performing health screening procedures such as blood pressure, pulse, weight, temperature. Performs finger stick to obtain sample to obtain donor’s hematocrit and total protein levels.
Plasma donors are helping patients. They are not patients
That makes two down votes. Any further questions, OP?

So taking the job here would be pretty meaningless aside from getting paid for it?
Well that's purely depends on you. Employment is still looked upon favorably for admissions. But a job screening healthy patients (who choose to be there) does not have the same impact as a job such as being a hospital transporter, phlebotomist, medical assistant, front desk CCSR, etc, where you are dealing with patients who may not feel well.

Those donating at a plasma center are generally healthy

Isn’t the end goal of having a lot of PCPs to be more preventative? Obviously sick people are still going to be a thing forever, but I’ve gone to my PCP plenty of times when I was healthy. I guess the main difference is these people aren’t seeing a doctor after they are seeing the OP. I just don’t think being healthy disqualifies you as a patient. What about elective surgery?

Isn’t the end goal of having a lot of PCPs to be more preventative? Obviously sick people are still going to be a thing forever, but I’ve gone to my PCP plenty of times when I was healthy. I guess the main difference is these people aren’t seeing a doctor after they are seeing the OP. I just don’t think being healthy disqualifies you as a patient. What about elective surgery?
Anyone would enjoy being around healthy people. Shouldn't the goal of a med student aspirant be to have experience with sick and injured folks so they know they'll want to interact with them for the next four decades?

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone would enjoy being around healthy people. Shouldn't the goal of a med student aspirant be to have experience with sick and injured folks so they know they'll want to interact with them for the next four decades?

Yes, I think it is necessary to spend time around sick people as an aspiring medical student because you will be around sick people throughout medical school and residency. I do not think that has to be true for the next 4 decades though. If you find you really don't like sick people then you could be a cosmetic plastic surgeon or a LASIK only ophthalmologist (I have a friend that just went to a practice doing only this). I am not saying this is true for me... just that it is an option.

Yes, I think it is necessary to spend time around sick people as an aspiring medical student because you will be around sick people throughout medical school and residency. I do not think that has to be true for the next 4 decades though. If you find you really don't like sick people then you could be a cosmetic plastic surgeon or a LASIK only ophthalmologist (I have a friend that just went to a practice doing only this). I am not saying this is true for me... just that it is an option.

If you don't like being around patients you could also wind up being an unemployed physician. I've seen it happen to some very talented people who just didn't want to do clinical care, even half-time. Not every physician is in a position to retrain for a surgical niche and even people who are having LASIK or a facelift are patients when they are in the office.

The fact is, the definition of clinical care is being in the presence of patients. Whether healthy or at death's door, they should have that title, if you will. If they are customers, guests, clients, students, or scouts, what you are doing might not be clinical care.

Reactions: 4 users
Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.
Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Reactions: 1 users