Is working as head of first aid at a summer camp considered clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drewmighty

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did this last year and will be doing it this year as well. I worked and will be again working at a summer day camp and have a first aid station set up where kids go if they have injuries or other health issues.
Duties:
-Treating injuries of kids (mainly dealing with scrapes and bruises, but last year had to deal with some broken noses and a broken toe)
-Dealing with medications (some kids need medications and I need to log them and make sure the take them as prescribed by doctors)
-Coming up with a health outline/policy for staff (with help of head of camp) as well as giving a speech on health and safety at training for staff
-Talking to parents about issues or injuries if they occur
-making sure people have all their health forms filled out
-being up to date on all health regulations regarding ACA (American camp society)
-Cleaning up and dealing with any bodily fluids (vomit, blood, feces. We have kids from ages 5-13 so sometimes have to do the last one)

My main concern was that this is not in a hospital setting or facility specializing in treating injured patients so I am not sure if this counts as direct clinical care.

Members don't see this ad.

They aren't patients so this does not meet my strict definition. It isn't anymore clinical than babysitting would be clinical because you clean up after kids, put a bandage on a booboo and give them a medication as prescribed and in accordance with instructions given to you by the kid's parents.

They aren't patients so this does not meet my strict definition. It isn't anymore clinical than babysitting would be clinical because you clean up after kids, put a bandage on a booboo and give them a medication as prescribed and in accordance with instructions given to you by the kid's parents.
Thank you for the quick and honest response, I will mark it as non-clinical paid work on my application

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really. But definitely talk in depth about the summer day camp experience otherwise. It's good and different from the monotonous entry-level clinical jobs.
I will! I am not too worried though as I worked for 3 years in a psych facility and have tons of clinical hours from that. I am hoping that my unique and experiences will help my app.

Reactions: 1 user