Is Your Unpaid Internship Illegal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mariachi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought this was a worthy read considering how many internships I've seen that are unpaid. Apparently its illegal to make an intern work for free without teaching them something. Not that it would necessarily be a bright idea to bring this up with the boss;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/03/business/03intern.html?src=me&ref=general

Members don't see this ad.

Before deciding to apply to pharm school, I volunteered in a pharmacy for about a year. This was both to decide whether or not I liked it and to make connections/get an LOR. A lot of pharmacy schools want a letter from a pharmacist -- and unless I went through the time & hassle of trying to get certified and hired somewhere as a tech, then it was volunteering or nothing. Most of my volunteer work was actually work that the techs would normally do, and it was for a for-profit institution, so it would qualify under the article. Didn't get paid anything at all, but I got a stellar letter from the DoP, made a ton of connections and learned that I really like pharmacy.

So according to this, I was a party to my own exploitation, *and* I did it on the backs of the poor. Wow, what an bad person I am lol =P

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought this was a worthy read considering how many internships I've seen that are unpaid. Apparently its illegal to make an intern work for free without teaching them something. Not that it would necessarily be a bright idea to bring this up with the boss;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/03/business/03intern.html?src=me&ref=general

If your talking about IPPE and APPE... its a rotation and part of your educational experience I believe, which equates to free labor.

If your talking about IPPE and APPE... its a rotation and part of your educational experience I believe, which equates to free labor.

Ha, not it's not free labor. I am paying quite a lot of money to endure it .... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Before deciding to apply to pharm school, I volunteered in a pharmacy for about a year. This was both to decide whether or not I liked it and to make connections/get an LOR. A lot of pharmacy schools want a letter from a pharmacist -- and unless I went through the time & hassle of trying to get certified and hired somewhere as a tech, then it was volunteering or nothing. Most of my volunteer work was actually work that the techs would normally do, and it was for a for-profit institution, so it would qualify under the article. Didn't get paid anything at all, but I got a stellar letter from the DoP, made a ton of connections and learned that I really like pharmacy.

So according to this, I was a party to my own exploitation, *and* I did it on the backs of the poor. Wow, what an bad person I am lol =P

Lol yup, its a win-win for both parties, the pharmacy gets free labor and you receive a LOR/experience.;)