Iserson's Getting Into a Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

filmdoc26

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the 6th Edition is supposed to come out?

Members don't see this ad.

The new, 6th edition is scheduled to release from the presses on April 15, 2003. Check out Galenpress.com or here after that time to get the updated version.
Review #2
Ranking 5
Let me start by first saying that if you don't have this blue book, you're missing on an important piece of the pie of getting into a residency in the US. This book has it all and it starts from the very beginning.
The first part helps students pick out their specialty. An extensive text explaining each and every specialty with its pros, cons and fellowships are written in minute details. From how many people are accepted per year to how much money these guys make in the end. It even goes to what personality may fit a specific specialty and not the othe. The book is the most widely used text for students who have still yet to find their calling in a medical specialty. After reading the chapter, you will definitely know where you want to go and you will actually have your reasons for making such a decision.

The second part takes you on an overview of all th exams that a person has to complete and what they actually mean when a person does them. A section on the IMG exams of CSA and TOEFL are also highlghted.

The third part talked about the application process. Everything is covered. From what you have to wear for your interview, how you get there, and how you even pack your suitcase is shown in diagrams and illustrations. Iserson goes into the details of the interview extensively and actually gives out a detailed array of what are the major areas of questioning applicants maybe asked in their interview. As a person who has gone through this gruelling process recently, a lot of what has been written gets actually asked.

IMGs are covered in some chapters of the book and there is one whole chapter that talks exclusively about them. Though, the chapters are good, there are better texts that have been written for IMGs. This book, however, can be used to cover everything else in that matter.

Though it's an extensive read, it's really worth it and since the book is moving on to its sixth edition (last edition, 5th, was in 2000), it means further demand is making this book as popular as ever and still the number one reference to a great number of medical students.

Review #3
Ranking 5
I just want to say that I went to an AMWA (I think that's what it's called) meeting the other day, and the 4th years who came to speak to us about the match process recommended this book and said that it would be worthwhile to get it first year....
Peace out!