Issue finding lab work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergraduate sophomore, doubling majoring in psych and social work and minoring in biology. I'm currently looking to go the MSW/LCSW route, but I want to keep my options open in case I do decide to try for a PhD or PsyD., which means research. The problem I'm having is that none of the professors at my school seem to be involved in research at this time (and yes, this is a research university, albiet a small one). I've emailed a few introducing myself and saying why I'm interested in their specific research, and I get really encouraging responses and offers to meet with them to discuss their research topics/my interests (which I take them up on), so I don't think I'm presenting myself horribly or anything. The provblem is that they all seem to say that they have no work currently going on in their labs....

I do biomedical research, which is actually vaguely related to psych (we study rather certain chemicals work with serotonin receptors in cells), but I don't think an admissions committee would consider that as psych research...

Any advice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The important thing about research is that you learn the nuts and bolts. Most people first get involved mid-stream, so don't worry if you don't get exposure to some of the things I list. Getting experience in any of these areas will be helpful (whether it is psych specific or not).

*The in's and out's of developing a study
*The steps involved in getting a study from idea conception to something you can propose
*Proposal writing
*The IRB process
*Applying for grants
*How to do a proper lit review
*How to standardize processes like instruction, selecting, debriefing, etc.
*How to collect, quantify, label, extract, interpret, etc data
*How to write up findings to a manuscript for publishing
*How to submit / edit / mold your manuscript to fit the publication req.

That is just a quick list.....and the vast majority of people don't have experience in most/all areas (that is what grad school is for!), but that will give you an idea of some things to look for outside of simple data collection and lit review. Keep in mind you may not have access to some/most of those areas, so don't be discouraged....but if you can get in early, you may be able to get some great experience. My undergraduate research experience was heavy in some of those area and poor in other areas. The important thing was that I gain *some* experience and showed that I was committed to the work and I gained an understanding of the process.

Best of luck!

-t

ps. Networking is key!! Make sure that the faculty know you, because you never know when they will meet someone who could help you. I learned this early on, and eventually I had profs calling me about opportunities because I had the blessing of their trusted colleagues.

I'm an undergraduate sophomore, doubling majoring in psych and social work and minoring in biology. I'm currently looking to go the MSW/LCSW route, but I want to keep my options open in case I do decide to try for a PhD or PsyD., which means research. The problem I'm having is that none of the professors at my school seem to be involved in research at this time (and yes, this is a research university, albiet a small one). I've emailed a few introducing myself and saying why I'm interested in their specific research, and I get really encouraging responses and offers to meet with them to discuss their research topics/my interests (which I take them up on), so I don't think I'm presenting myself horribly or anything. The provblem is that they all seem to say that they have no work currently going on in their labs....

I do biomedical research, which is actually vaguely related to psych (we study rather certain chemicals work with serotonin receptors in cells), but I don't think an admissions committee would consider that as psych research...

Any advice?

Thanks.

Do you have an honors college? Are you a member, and if so, do you have the option/requirement to complete an undergraduate thesis? This sometimes is an excellent method to gain research experience.

Also I would ask if your professors know any colleagues at other nearby local institutions doing research. Barring that, while it is less than optimum, sociology research is a second choice to get research experience.

Finally, it sounds like you are looking for the option to practice more than you are to get into a research oriented program. If that is the case, find somewhere you can get clinical experience. A fair amount of work on a suicide hotline or rape crisis line will do wonders especially in a Psy.D. program where the emphasis is on clinical skills and not research.

There are many excellent Psy.D. programs out there that are fully funded (albeit highly competitive) that would over look a lack of research skills in exchange for clinical experience. #1 reason I didn't fair well in some interviews was a lack of clinical experience, optimally you want both, but you can get by with just one... provided you apply to the right programs.

Mark

PS - There is a difference between lacking and having NONE. :D (thanks for catching that T4C!)

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll still need research experience for the top Psy.D. programs (Rutgers, Baylor, etc), though they do also emphasize clinical experience. Crisis hotlines and the like are great experiences or students.

-t

If they are telling you they don't have any active research projects, I'd just be up front and ask them if they know of someone else in the department you could talk to who does currently have research projects. They shouldn't be offended, they should know you need this for grad school.

That being said, are you positive that is what they meant? Or did they just mean they weren't looking to hire anyone on this late in the semester or something? Or maybe they just didn't have a current project that related to your specific topic of interest that you discussed? Don't they have grad students?

If they've seriously stopped all ongoing research at a research university, I have a feeling every last one of them will be fired within the next year. I'm doubtful even tenure could save a professor who completely stopped research. Its one thing to slow down, but quite another to stop entirely. Its like not bothering to show up for work and hoping seniority will keep you from being fired. Even tenured faculty at 4 year colleges usually have at least SOME research program going on.

If they are telling you they don't have any active research projects, I'd just be up front and ask them if they know of someone else in the department you could talk to who does currently have research projects. They shouldn't be offended, they should know you need this for grad school.

That being said, are you positive that is what they meant? Or did they just mean they weren't looking to hire anyone on this late in the semester or something? Or maybe they just didn't have a current project that related to your specific topic of interest that you discussed? Don't they have grad students?

If they've seriously stopped all ongoing research at a research university, I have a feeling every last one of them will be fired within the next year. I'm doubtful even tenure could save a professor who completely stopped research. Its one thing to slow down, but quite another to stop entirely. Its like not bothering to show up for work and hoping seniority will keep you from being fired. Even tenured faculty at 4 year colleges usually have at least SOME research program going on.

Isn't that what Ward Churchill did? ;)

Mark

Does anyone have any suggestions for those of us looking to apply strictly to balanced (say, 4 on the 1-7 scale) programs? I can only assume that the answer would be, "volunteer for both a research project and at a clinic/hotline/etc.," but it's helpful to hear that from the experts here :)

Does anyone have any suggestions for those of us looking to apply strictly to balanced (say, 4 on the 1-7 scale) programs? I can only assume that the answer would be, "volunteer for both a research project and at a clinic/hotline/etc.," but it's helpful to hear that from the experts here :)

Pretty much.

:D

-t

Are there any professors you're interested in doing research with? I became one of the students of a new professor who's interested in working with undergrads, but was first exposed to her research while taking her class. That could be a good route.

At the same time, a lot of my friends do research with professors who don't teach any classes... so every situation really is different.

You could do research for a lab that does psychotherapy research...

Just figured I'd update this thread:
The start of the new semester was fast approaching and having received a few nice emails but no substantial "bites," I was ready to give up and try agin the following semester. Much to my surprise, right before the start of the term, I got an email from a professor offering me the opprotunity to work with her lab group for credit in a subject of my interest [saying it would "out" my location, I'm afraid. The work is mostly transcribing, but they also make an effort to really teach students the methods, theory, and so on, of the research and to have the students read and analyze peer-reviewed research on related topics... It sounds interesting so far, and I hope it goes well!
:)