Issues Getting ID Card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nervousNJpremed

OMS1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there folks,

I'm an Army HPSP student, just wondering if any of you have had trouble getting an ID card. I'm in my first year and was commissioned back at the end of May this year.. I have not been able to make an AKO account, and was told my file is incomplete in the HR database due to some holdup with my file at the central recruiting command at Fort Knox.. I was told by my HPSP liaison that I probably wouldn't be able to get an ID card yet.. Any of you know if there's any truth to this or have had a similar experience? I can't even get on post for the commissary or PX, which sucks because I have been a 2LT for 7 months!!! Helpppppppppppp.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When you were commissoned you should have recieved a set of orders. If you did you should be able to go a local military base and get an ID. There is a DOD website that lists military ID locations. Call your recruiter he or she can take you to a badging office with your orders.

You can PM and I'll get you the badging office website.

All I received was a signed copy of my oath and my service contract... Is the oath what I can use to get the ID? This has all been a bit confusing because my recruiter retired a couple of months after I was commissioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm AF HPSP and wasn't able to get a green reserve ID at COT. If I show up to one of the badging stations, I'm guessing I should be in uniform. Would ABUs be acceptable?

He's found a new loophole. He's on the pay system but off all the other radars. Have you ever heard of the Army forgetting about someone until retirement. I heard of a case like this but assumed it was an urban legend.

I'm AF HPSP and wasn't able to get a green reserve ID at COT. If I show up to one of the badging stations, I'm guessing I should be in uniform. Would ABUs be acceptable?

From AFIT (and no don't go in uniform):

HQ ARPC/SGM has issued the following instructions for acquiring a reserve (green) military ID card:

* Students will have to report (wait 8-12 weeks after accession into the HPSP/FAP to ensure you are loaded into the military personnel data system by HQ ARPC) to the nearest military installation with military ID card processing capability (click here for a search engine). Call the installation ahead of time to ensure you have all the documentation they will require. Take a copy of your ARPC Form 92 (Appointment Order), to the Military Personnel Flight's Pass and ID section and reference AFI 36-3026, Table 1.6. (go to page 28, print table 1.6 and take it with you). If you have not received your ARPC Form 92 within three months of first receiving your stipend payment, please call the HQ ARPC appointment order section at 1-800-525-0102.
* If you experience any problems while attempting to obtain the ID card, have the staff at the Military Personnel Flight call HQ ARPC/SGM at DSN 926-6484(5) or (800) 525-0102 for verification of your military status.
* If you have family members, you must enroll them in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) (http://www.tricare.osd.mil/deer's/default.cfm). Enrolling your family members in DEERS makes them eligible for military benefits. To confirm eligibility, you must bring your marriage license, children's birth certificates, custody agreements, and/or adoption papers.

From AFIT (and no don't go in uniform):

HQ ARPC/SGM has issued the following instructions for acquiring a reserve (green) military ID card:

* Students will have to report (wait 8-12 weeks after accession into the HPSP/FAP to ensure you are loaded into the military personnel data system by HQ ARPC) to the nearest military installation with military ID card processing capability (click here for a search engine). Call the installation ahead of time to ensure you have all the documentation they will require. Take a copy of your ARPC Form 92 (Appointment Order), to the Military Personnel Flight's Pass and ID section and reference AFI 36-3026, Table 1.6. (go to page 28, print table 1.6 and take it with you). If you have not received your ARPC Form 92 within three months of first receiving your stipend payment, please call the HQ ARPC appointment order section at 1-800-525-0102.
* If you experience any problems while attempting to obtain the ID card, have the staff at the Military Personnel Flight call HQ ARPC/SGM at DSN 926-6484(5) or (800) 525-0102 for verification of your military status.
* If you have family members, you must enroll them in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) (http://www.tricare.osd.mil/deer's/default.cfm). Enrolling your family members in DEERS makes them eligible for military benefits. To confirm eligibility, you must bring your marriage license, children's birth certificates, custody agreements, and/or adoption papers.

yea, I read that and found the closest place.

There was just no indication of whether I should go in uniform or not.

You don't need to be in uniform. I wasn't when I got my ID.

Alright, I won't wear one then.

On a side note, the army reserve badging place is like literally 2 minutes from my apt. That's pretty cool. I was imagining them making me drive to the nearest AFB in San Antonio. I guess that's why I put off even investigating until I had vacation time.

It kinda depends on where you go and who's working there. A LOT of places have no idea what HPSP is, so that tends to be a problem. You should be able to get the reserve ID with your appointment orders as well as two forms of ID as someone mentioned previously. When I went I took app't orders as well as ADT orders, and it still took them a while to figure out what to do. After the server crashed and and hour and a half later I got my green card only for it to be incorrect saying I weighed 299 lbs, nonetheless I said whatev b/c it still serves to get you on any post.

I've had some say we aren't even entitled an ID card, but HPSP says to get one so, who knows what the right answer is.

If you do a military ADT you'll most likely have to get the CAC ID card, which can also be difficult b/c they don't want to give IRR soliders CAC cards, but I guess they can give you a card because you're on active duty training, so I don't really know how it works. It would be most helpful to have either your recruiter with you or in my case I had the NCOIC of the clinic I was working at help me out.

Good luck!

So is the green reserve ID a CAC card then? or is it something different?

Here is the AFI document mentioned above. Chart 1.6 on page 28 says that IRR people are entitled to a green reserve ID, if that is indeed the same thing as a CAC.

Last edited:
Yeah I got the green laminated paper as my first ID, but when I did ADT they gave me a CAC card, which expires the day my ADT finishes. They also took away my green reservist card when I got the CAC. So now, I have to return the CAC card and then they'll re-issue the green card.